• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ's with mobile rigs (ham radio)

thethinginthewoods

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can find some pictures of ham radio setups in 97-up XJ's? I am looking for custom consoles, mounting positions, electronic component locations, etc. It doesn't matter what kind of radio/scanner/device is in the setup, I'm just looking for ideas.

The older body style (up to 96) looks like it would fit a few where the center vent and climate controls normally go, but the newer center console is more limited. Thanks

Nobody has anything? I tried searching in NAXJA and google, but there doesn't seem to be many pics of XJ's other than CB setups.

I ran an ICOM IC2200H in my 91, but I just had it screwed onto the right side of the console.

Nitrospeed Racing has an ICOM V8000 mounted to the area under the storage pocket, under the glovebox.

Now I'm running a Yaesu FT8900-R. It's remotely mounted under the back seat with the faceplate/mic on the windshield via suction cup mount.

My Dad has run a couple of his ham rigs Double stick taped to the top of the dash right over the radio cluster. I've got a full sized CB rig mounted in this spot (Cobra 148GTL). Clean the dash with alcohol on a warm day and I've never had one come lose yet.

I've seen some people rip out their center vent and climate controls two add two extra radio spaces in the dash below the regular AM/FM radio, but I want to keep those when I get my new jeep. I'll probably end up mounting the small head control units along the transmission shifter region or near the top of the dash. Thanks

Add a cage and then the possibilities are endless. My ICOM 121 is sitting on top of my dash clamped onto my dash cross tube.

radioinstall2.jpg

I've been thinking I'd get one small enough and fab up a bracket to mount it on the drivers side of the gage cluster above the vent there.

I have a Motorola Spectra commercial radio that I have a couple of HAM channels programmed on mounted vertically in front of the gear shift where the ash tray was on my 90. works well in that location. Does not interfere with heater controls or gear shift. CB mounts nicely right next to it.

Back