• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasket & Seal Replacement

balrog429

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok, so I've changed the rear amin seal, the front main, the oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket, thermastat gasket water pump gasket, oil filter adapter o-rings and the valve cover gasket. I am planning on running synthetic oil in it after about 18 years of dino oil. Is there anything else I should replace to make sure I don't leak?

I think you have hit all the biggees. Just make sure your crankcase ventilation system is operating correctly so you don't build positive pressure in the engine crankcase.

Thanks Joe. How do I check to see if it's working right?

Not sure of your year/engine, just make sure that the air intake and vacuum lines are good, if you have a Renix with the restricted orifice in the valve cover make sure it is clear, you can use a small drill bit for that.

You can actually use a vacuum/pressure gauge with a tapered end piece (plastic/brass/aluminum) and press that into the dipstick tube to check it.

You should check the system like any regular maintenance item.

My experance has been that Syn oil does not absorb impacts inside a high mileage motor as well. I have seen several motors hammer themselves apart with in months of switching to synthetic. Don't get me wrong I have used it in my newer vehicles since purchase and will continue to do so, but in a vehicle with many miles I would be scared!!

there is also a seal at the base of the distributor where it goes into the block.

i run synthetic in my 89 with 245k miles and am not concerned with "hammering" the engine. actually, ive never heard of this before.

My experance has been that Syn oil does not absorb impacts inside a high mileage motor as well. I have seen several motors hammer themselves apart with in months of switching to synthetic. Don't get me wrong I have used it in my newer vehicles since purchase and will continue to do so, but in a vehicle with many miles I would be scared!!

Haven't seen an engine that hammered itself apart from synthetic oil. I have, however, seen numerous engines that were never properly broken in when their owners ran synthetic oil too early.

I have used synthetic oil in alot of high mileage engines and it does make them run better. Balrog429 is correct to replace the gaskets & seals first because synthetic oil will cause leaks in a high mileage engine.

Back