• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

key is STUCK in the ignition!! and im out in moab!!

natethegr8t

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this is pretty strange, my key is stuck in the ignition in my cherokee!! When we got back to camp I turned off the jeep and the key is locked in and will not come out, i can still turn the jeep on but i cant move the key into the aux position either...

i have tried to get it out for a couple hrs now, moving the wheel around and i sprayed some dry lube in there thinking that might help but no luck, anyone ever see or experience this before?? I do have a locking steering wheel club so im not extremely worried about it just more annoyed!!!

Take a hammer and tap the end of the key. Its a sign that the cylinder is going bad and probably needs to be replaced. Whacking the end with a hammer usually works, and worked for me when I had this problem.

It can also be a sign that your key has worn down too much, might be time for a new set.

I have the same problem with my 87. With an Auto Trans, there's a switch that goes from the ignition to the shifter that won't let you remove the key unless the shifter is in the Park position. Something is out of whack with mine, and it usually acts up only when it's cold outside.. if I crank my heater and let the cab get warm it doesn't do it so much. If you had a worn key or a bent pin you would have trouble getting the key in/getting the ignition cylinder to turn over.

I mess with my shifter and try moving it down to D and back up to park very firmly. After awhile it usually comes out.. I need some advice on how to fix it though.

I have the same problem with my 87. With an Auto Trans, there's a switch that goes from the ignition to the shifter that won't let you remove the key unless the shifter is in the Park position. Something is out of whack with mine, and it usually acts up only when it's cold outside.. if I crank my heater and let the cab get warm it doesn't do it so much. If you had a worn key or a bent pin you would have trouble getting the key in/getting the ignition cylinder to turn over.

I mess with my shifter and try moving it down to D and back up to park very firmly. After awhile it usually comes out.. I need some advice on how to fix it though.

That Park Lock cable is usually attached to the ignition switch at the foot of the steering column with a single 8mm nut that likes to come loose and cause problems. Also, it is adjusted at the console shifter.

When it happens to mine I just push the button on the shifter a few times. It frees up the interlock and the key comes right out.

Sorry, no help here mine is the complete opposite. I start mine, pull the keys back out and put them in my pocket and off I go.

I've had the opposite problem for a long time now, my key doesn't really go in, and you can turn the cylinder without it.

I'd probably wait until you get home to mess with it. Throw a towel over the steering wheel, shifter and seat when you park. It should look like you're trying to stop them from getting hot in the sun, and not like you're hiding that the doors locked but keys in the ignition.

..where are you parking again? ;)

WOW guys thanks for all the good advice!!!! My XJ is an 01 sport and its pretty built up i need to post some pics soon! I am staying all week at the days inn down here on a joint jeep/mtn biking trip kind of rotating days between biking and jeeping :)

I have been driving quite a bit since my initial post and i am WAY glad that the ignition at least works! its just sketchy leaving it unlocked lucky there are some sick jeeps in the parking lot so I think mine is pretty safe. Plus it wont stop beeping!!

At this point i am going to try to find that bolt joe peters is talking about but i guess other than that i gotta lave it alone, the hammer trick doesnt seem to make any difference. Anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks again all!!

Sometimes I have to slam my old 87 in park before the key will come out (as stated above)...
If I had to leave the key in, I would pull something under the hood in case someone tried to steal it.... Fuel pump relay or something..

BTW I hate you because you are in Moab and I'm not :laugh3:
2010 Easter event I'll be back :)

natethegr8t said:
I have been driving quite a bit since my initial post and i am WAY glad that the ignition at least works! its just sketchy leaving it unlocked lucky there are some sick jeeps in the parking lot so I think mine is pretty safe. Plus it wont stop beeping!!
Can't you leave just the ign. key and take the door key, or do the later XJs have a single key?
I second the idea of taking something from under the hood with you when you leave it.

try moving the shifter through the full range of motion, from park to L and back.
X2... I had a similar problem one day while exploring a local wildlife refuge. Ended up taking the keyfob off the keyring and using the remote to lock the Jeep while I took some pictures. Got back to the Jeep, started it and realized the transmission was is neutral, not park! :D

I GOT IT OUT finally!! I just have to hold the button for the gear shifter in and push it all the way up then turn the key back, whew glad that annoyance is over....time for more wheelin' thanks again guys!!!

X2... I had a similar problem one day while exploring a local wildlife refuge. Ended up taking the keyfob off the keyring and using the remote to lock the Jeep while I took some pictures. Got back to the Jeep, started it and realized the transmission was is neutral, not park! :D

What would have been even worse, doing this then laughing at the poor smuck who owns the XJ you just watched roll down a hill into a tree/rock/ditch/whatever only to realize upon returning to where you parked that it was YOUR XJ. :confused1

Back