• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering Powered 98 XJ seats?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has tried to lower the factory XJ powered seats... they're just a tad too high and no amount of adjustment can get them comfortable. Do I have room to play with the brackets and lower then or will the motors get in the way? Are there other seats from other vehicles that swap in decently for a lower seat height? I'm not looking for aftermarket fancy seats, just something comfortable as a DD...

Thanks!
Mark

I recently swapped leather seats into my '90 XJ and the power bases were just too high so I ended up swapping the bases with my old manual seats...just my story.

Haha I don't think that's why...

OT: you have no idea how much headache I have at work sometimes dealing with metric/imperial system conversions... our engineers design in metric but we use parts from the US and from Canada so things often don't go together as nicely as the engineers dream up. It's just not a fun time. When you all finally see the light and come to the Metric side, the world will be a much happier place. ;)

I swapped in 89 XJ 3-way adjustable seats into my 99 and had to do a mix of bracketry from old and new to get it to fit. My main goal was to lower the seats as well and get actual bucket seats (fleet model crap seats). I was actually able to lower the rear only about a half an inch and the front about 3/4". Its seriously hard cuz there isn't much to work with. ZJ seats from about the same year are supposed to fit in, there is an excellent junk yard swap thread on here that is very popular that I got a lot of my ideas from.

I put ZJ buckets into mine, and they sit higher than the original seats- maybe an inch or so? Comfy, but not the way to go if you're looking to go lower.

I just put ZJs in mine as well.

I'm going to cut off/reweld the brackets to see if I can drop them an inch or so. They would be a lot more comfortable.

I think I'm going to have to ditch the power seat and work with the brackets from a manual seat... I was poking around alst night and I kinda have a game plan, but I need the manual seat brackets to play with first. Time for another trip to the junkyard! :)

Back