• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Delete?

I have been trying to find information on this for a while. A search yeilded poor results...

I've got a '95 XJ with ABS, and it worked flawlessly up until about 4 years ago when my D35 gave up and I swapped in a C8.25. Obviously the ABS won't work with this axle and I don't really want it to work again. I just want the underhood room back and I want to have a simplified brake system.

Is it as simple as yanking the pump out and routing new lines in its absense, or do I need to replace other parts such as proportioning valve?

Thanks in advance!

sorry to hijack but why cant the 8.25 work? i have abs in my rig with the 8.25. came off the line like that.

Is it as simple as yanking the pump out and routing new lines in its absense, or do I need to replace other parts such as proportioning valve?

Yup, just convert it to "Non-ABS" parts. Unless you need to room for some reason, it's cheaper and easier to leave sleeping dogs lie.

sorry to hijack but why cant the 8.25 work? i have abs in my rig with the 8.25. came off the line like that.

Can't say I've ever seen a 8.25 ABS unit. However, I think it would be accurate to state that most 8.25 equipped Cherokees did not have ABS, and thus do not have a hookup or tone rings for ABS.

Last edited:

Yours is the first one I've ever heard of with ABS... but regardless, mine doesn't have the pickups or tone rings.

Yup, just convert it to "Non-ABS" parts. Unless you need to room for some reason, it's cheaper and easier to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Would removing the ABS system not make it easier to bleed/flush the brake system? I've let the sleeping dog lie this long... I just figured it would de-clutter things if that big paper weight wasn't there.

Less parts usually means less work, Yes, you should be able to swap out a non ABS master for your ABS master.

There is a thread on here about getting rid of that dead weight ABS. I used it to guide me in doing it, my first time flanging brake tubing. I maybe spent $10 on parts, the 3-prong tree thing and some adapters at Napa and figured it out. I did it to put a late 80's washer reservoir bottle there so I could cut the left fender more. I had pics, my mom deleted them, but that thread is good enough.

Back