• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wheel hop after full width mod

gump

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I don't know if this one is for advanced fab or not, but I can't post there so I'll try it here. I did a full width 44/9" swap about a year ago, and I really like it. I get pretty limited flex due to the infamous radius arm bind ( reworked stock Ford arms and attatched to rock anchor brackets on the frame) and I'm ok with that. The thing I'm not crazy about is the amount of crazy wheel hop from the front on loose climbs. Once the front tires loose grip, she starts bouncing all over the place. This vid clip shows wat I'm talking about. Obviously mine is the first rig, I couldn't figure out how to shorten the video.

Is this because of the fact that I'm using radius arms, and it's "jacking up" the front when the axle wants to twist, or did I miss something else batantly obvious?

The C bushings could be worn out, or the shocks could be shot.

My first thought was shocks, replaced them with a set of Bilstiens I got from a friend, no change. I hadn't thought about the C bushings, they aren't in great shape. From what I've heard from others watching it sounds like the arms are moving just as much as the axles though.

I was starting to think that it was due to the setup. Figured the axle twist was squatting the front then when it breaks loose it would "release", over and over and so on...

C bushings.
Its a common problem w/ old broncos.
Put a good set of poly C bushings in and it should help w/ most of the hop.

My vote is for bushings. My front end was hopping real bad, I thought bad bushings, confirmed it here, and replaced the worst looking one and it stopped.

One of the reasons I went with a 3 link back when I did my front D44 was to replace the rubber bushings with hard joints because I didn't like the small amount of axle wrap I got with the stock XJ upper bushings. I can't imagine how it would be with stock Ford C bushings. Put in some new poly bushings and it should improve. Really, a pretty cheap improvement.

to further eliminate it, a front suckdown winch, and/or a front center limit strap would go a long way.

Back