• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inspecting used xj

shaddady34

NAXJA Forum User
hey i'm a soon to be jeep owner but am wondering about one i saw at the dealer. There is what looks to be dryed up oily substance on the driver side rear axle and differential. There is no substance on the passenger side axle. I probably sound like an idiot but i dont want to buy a bad xj does any one know what i'm talking about

Residue from an oil leak, sounds like.

Where on the axle housing is it? If it's at the very end, it was probably a wheel seal leak. If it's inboard from the end, you're probably seeing detritus from a "forward" oil leak - like the transmission or the engine.

On the driver's side, the only leaks I can think off offhand that would present like that are valve cover leaks (top of the engine,) or maybe a transmission leak - what transmission?

If the stuff is old and dry, the leak has been likely fixed - fresh oil leaks are fairly distinctive.

5-90

The way I see it is if its leaking oil, it a good XJ. More oil the marrier, keeps the metal fresh, and joints lubbed til it touched rubber, then you get distortions, but everything rubber is a quick fix to replace.

But dont listen to me, I like doing lots of work.

Thats where the axle vent is!!

On the D35 and C8.25" it is the brakeline fitting bolt,on the D44 it a separate vent right next to the brakeline bolt.

RCP Phx said:
On the D35 and C8.25" it is the brakeline fitting bolt,on the D44 it a separate vent right next to the brakeline bolt.
on all of my older non-c clip d35's there's a seperate vent, drivers side, 6 inches maybe from the brakeline bolt.

Back