• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Brake Hose

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
I searched...couldn't find what I was looking for.

I am putting finishing touches on a Ford 8.8 axle I've built for my XJ ('89 Wagoneer LTD). The axle is just part of a major mod I've undertaken that includes an AA SYE for the NP242, Tom Woods CV rear driveshaft, re-gearing front and 8.8 rear to 4.56:1, and putting ELocker in front and Ected locker in rear 8.8.

Problem is with passenger side rear brake line (caliper to hard line). I've tried using stock explorer line but it isn't long enough to get to a good fastening location (I fastened driver's side to the shock mount). Spent about 2 hours in NAPA with the salesman trying to find a longer hose that had the required fittings on each end...no luck. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to weld on a special tab to the axle tube to mount the end of the rubber line, but really don't want (don't have a welder and it's a hassle to get friend to come over with his).

Anyone have a better idea? A part number that fits and is longer? Thanks in advance!

I am a little confused by your post, but here goes. The following NAPA part "BRK HOSE" 36593 goes from the Jeep framerail brake connection to Ford 8.8 rubber hose that's connected to the axle. This basically extends the rear brakeline by connecting the two hoses together to form an extended brakeline.

I'm confused as well. The passenger side rear line (caliper to hard line) works fine for the 8.8 swap. On the drivers side, I had to buy another passenger side to meet with about an 8" section of hard line that goes into the Dodge Dakota main center line.

OK, to clear the confusion. The original brake lines on the 8.8 were trashed...the hard line was kinked in several places, and the line from frame to axle was cut.

I've made a custom hard line (have flare tool) and re-used the "T" and frame-to-axle extended length line from my XJ. I got and used a passenger side ford hose for driver's side...it conveniently fit to the new shock mount (shock goes behind axle on drivers side). With shock in front of axle on passenger side, the hose isn't long enough to reach it...so I can't find a good place to hard-mount the end of the passenger side hose.

So question is "is there a longer hose that fits both the ford caliper and the 3/8 flare, or is there a good place to mount the hose on the back side of the axle on the passenger side?

I actually used a couple stock XJ front lines for mine.
While doing my swap I was getting ready to go get a couple pass side hoses, when I ran across a couple extra front lines. I compared them, and saw no reason why they would not work so I gave it a shot. It's working great, and the extra length gave me more mounting options.

OK, to clear the confusion. The original brake lines on the 8.8 were trashed...the hard line was kinked in several places, and the line from frame to axle was cut.

I've made a custom hard line (have flare tool) and re-used the "T" and frame-to-axle extended length line from my XJ. I got and used a passenger side ford hose for driver's side...it conveniently fit to the new shock mount (shock goes behind axle on drivers side). With shock in front of axle on passenger side, the hose isn't long enough to reach it...so I can't find a good place to hard-mount the end of the passenger side hose.

So question is "is there a longer hose that fits both the ford caliper and the 3/8 flare, or is there a good place to mount the hose on the back side of the axle on the passenger side?

I just finished an 8.8 conversion. I used 2 8.8 pasenger side hoses and made new hard line along with the existing XJ brake line block. Easy to fab tabs to attach the soft lines. I'll post pics if you want them.

The other thing to consider is the e-brake cables. I used the XJ cables and cable clamps. Lokar make cables I think $90+ each...kinda pricey!

:wierd:

Extend the hard line so that you can mount it where ever you want to.
I mounted mine to the leaf spring center pin.

This is the best pic I could find:

HPIM1004.jpg

Yes, I've come to the conclusion that welding a mounting tab onto the axle is probably the best way to go. I did get the e-brake converted using the cable clamp as suggested (saw that trick on "Extreme 4x4" TV show).

I like the extended spring plate for use as a bump-stop in the picture. My plates (from Ruff Stuff) don't have the extension, but I'll probably bolt one on on top of it!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back