• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on the d44/d30 front axle swap

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so ive been trying to find an affordable way to get a d44 under the nose of my 95 XJ.
A few people reccomended the TJ rubicon d44 axle with the d30 outters which works well for me by saving me a few bucks!! SO before u all jump on my back about how this isnt a real 44 and isnt worth the work,,,,I know someone who is selling this hybrid axle ACCEPT he used a "real" d44 housing and cut it to jeep width. SO, with that said,, couldnt i just beef up the weaker outters by doing something similar to this...........
ore-c2.jpg

In that super small picture, it looks like they welded some gussets to the inner Cs. How does that beef up the outers?

When people are talking about beefing up the outers, they are talking brakes, axle shafts, hubs and all that stuff, not the C.

Are you going to be buying the axle that guy built on here where he welded D30 Cs onto the axle and got all sorts of flack?

If you're getting a good enough deal on the D44 with D30 outers, you can get Superior 30 spline stub axles and unit bearings, or you can get a Warn 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern hub kit for a D30 which comes with 30 spline stubs and locking hubs. Actually, both of those options are stronger than the regular D44 stub axles, which are 19 spline (though bigger diameter than the 27 spline D30 stubs) and are the D44's weakest link.

Well then even if i dont gain any strength from the outters,, atleast i can gain the strength of a d44s center section, bigger R&P, and thicker tubes. Then i gear it, lock it and throw in a set of 30 spline chromolys and im done!!!!!!!!!!!!

In that super small picture, it looks like they welded some gussets to the inner Cs. How does that beef up the outers?

When people are talking about beefing up the outers, they are talking brakes, axle shafts, hubs and all that stuff, not the C.

Are you going to be buying the axle that guy built on here where he welded D30 Cs onto the axle and got all sorts of flack?

Yes AND No! The axle hes selling is still under his rig. Im not sure what his plans are for the one hes building now in that thread of contravercial ideas. But yes, its the same person and he is a fellow member of our NY jeep club so i know hes not gonna sell me something thats no good.

Well then even if i dont gain any strength from the outters,, can i atleast gain the strength of a d44s center section, bigger R&P, and thicker tubes??????

Well then even if i dont gain any strength from the outters,, can i atleast gain the strength of a d44s center section, bigger R&P, and thicker tubes??????

Yes you can. And your outers could be stonger as well, like Goatman said.

And if you wanted to keep the smaller bolt pattern (stock) and still utilize the WARN Premium 30 spline hubs and stubs: There is a conversion kit available to do just that. THEN YOU WOULD TRULY HAVE A SUPERIOUR HYBRID AXLE.

Better yet get the Longfield cv's and 30 spline UB. The inner c gussets are a good idea as well. Just don't get too carried away, make sure and leave room for your monster cv's joints.
I need a sponsor. I should call Mr Long

Last edited:

And if you wanted to keep the smaller bolt pattern (stock) and still utilize the WARN Premium 30 spline hubs and stubs: There is a conversion kit available to do just that. THEN YOU WOULD TRULY HAVE A SUPERIOUR HYBRID AXLE.

Better yet get the Longfield cv's and 30 spline UB. The inner c gussets are a good idea as well. Just don't get too carried away, make sure and leave room for your monster cv's joints.

SWEET, thats exactly what i needed someone to say and confirm!! A d44 with d30 outters is still stronger then any one d30!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!

SWEET, thats exactly what i needed someone to say and confirm!! A d44 with d30 outters is still stronger then any one d30!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!
It may be "stronger", but sure not "wiser".
By the time you are done putting money into the above items you would have been really close to just sticking with the complete D44 and narrowing it. Heck, if you played your money right I'll bet you could even throw in a set of wheels and shafts for the rear to take care of the bolt pattern difference.
I guess it comes down to what you are paying for it; but any hybrid axle that retains the stock D30 outer stuff axle is not a very smart idea, IMO.

Which kit is that?

The Warn 5 on 4.5" hub kit is 27 spline, not 30 spline.

There's no way that I'd bother spending money on a D44 and retain 27 spline stub shafts. If you don't want to change the rear axles and your wheels to the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, and the D44 has D30 outers, then your only option is the Superior 30 spline stubs and unit bearings. It would still be a very strong axle this way, stronger than a regular D44 with the 19 spline stubs and locking hubs.

Of course, if you have a nice front axle like that, you should also be upgrading your rear to better alloy shafrts, so you could change to 5 on 5.5.

Running a d44 with d30 outtters opinions........

My 8.8 is fully loaded so its easier and cheaper to keep my 5/4.5 bolt pattern.
As long as i can buy the 44 housing already made to bolt right into my XJ, then im golden.
I say this because i have to spend the money on upgrading either axle for the same cost.

With that said,,, the current condition that my 30 is in, and what it needs to get back up and running is the following,,,,,,,,
-- Master install kit.
-- Inner & outter seals.
-- Upgraded 27 spline chromos.
-- Swaping out the aussie for an ARB.
-- Having to pay to have my gears setup again.
-- Trussing the thin tubed d30.

Thats alot of cash to spend on a 30!! I believe its WAY smarter to spend that money on building the 44,, and having the d30 outters allows me to run my 1 ton steer, R.K. trac bar, the new brakes that were just done, and NOT having to buy new wheels!!! That saves me alot of pesos in this hybrid front axle build and swap!!

SO, with that said,,, what road would you guys take in this situation???

OH, and yes, they do have an upgraded 30 spline stubs and hubs kit which will now let me run a full set of 30 spline chromo shafts and ujoints. Then i DONT have to worry so much on blowing my d30's R&P since the 44's center section has bigger and stronger parts!!!!!!!

My vote would be for a real D44 inside and out. The bigger half ton brakes is reason enough to me, because D30 brakes suck.

Seams to me no matter which way you go you are going to be spending some money for upgrades. What size tires are you planning on running on this front end.

My vote would be for a real D44 inside and out. The bigger half ton brakes is reason enough to me, because D30 brakes suck.

Seams to me no matter which way you go you are going to be spending some money for upgrades. What size tires are you planning on running on this front end.

My brakes are perfectly fine if you ask me..... calipers, rotors, pads, S.S. brake lines are all brand new,, but i do understand and agree with what all of u say about the bigger better brakes on the d44.

Im rolling on BRAND NEW 35" baja claw radials!! ((35x12.5xR15))

My brakes are perfectly fine if you ask me..... calipers, rotors, pads, S.S. brake lines are all brand new,, but i do understand and agree with what all of u say about the bigger better brakes on the d44.

Im rolling on BRAND NEW 35" baja claw radials!! ((35x12.5xR15))

XJ brakes suck donkey balls. I built mine with WJ brakes. My hybrid didn't cost me jack, I only built it this way because its what I had available.

Last edited:
Back