• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 issues

MarioWario

NAXJA Forum User
for some reason when im out wheeling in 4lo ill be climbing up a rock and it'll send majority of the power to the rear wheels to where i cant even get up a small rock, it'll just spin the rear wheels...
what would be causing this???

Do you still have the vacuum disconnect on the front axle? If so it might not be engaging properly.

Try adjusting the shifter linkage, if that doesn't help then something is definately wrong internally in the T-case.

Could be flex on the crappy linkage system. Too much flex and the torque bar, which runs between the tc bracket and the xj body bracket (yeah, really stupid), can either lock up or even pull the tc out of gear.

If it is flex causing the problem, AA makes a bracket that eliminates the body bracket, but you will need some TJ parts for it to work, and Novak makes a complete shifter replacement, costs more though.

my shift linkage is pretty trashed. the bushings in them are gone so to get it in 4x4 we had to hammer it in

Pry bar or honking screwdriver works good.

my shift linkage is pretty trashed. the bushings in them are gone so to get it in 4x4 we had to hammer it in

easy to over come. at one point my linkage got majorly fubar'd. i was able to shift it manually by: remove the linkage from the tc. its a keyed threaded stud. easy as taking the nut off and prying off the flat stock linkage piece. then take a crescent wrench and manually move the keyed piece (it has two flat sides great for putting a crescent on) have the wheels chalked before you do this incase you throw it in N. check the dash light to see if you have it in.

if your going to wheel with it like that just put it in 4low and leave it there for the durration of the trail so you dont have to keep getting under your rig to shift it.

that method has gotten me off a trail and home before...

Back