• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight relay wiring

Rocky

NAXJA Forum User
About a month ago I wired in 2 relays for my high & low beams to bypass the stock headlight switch. Now for the trouble, I live in Canada and my 93 XJ is equipped with daytime running lights.

The daytime running lights are feeding a reduced voltage to a relay causing it to do a high speed flutter (switching on and off a 1000 times a minute!). Anyone know where to disconnect the daytime lights? Or how about isolateing it with another relay, although that would be a PITA right know.

Let me know what you think, and I know, if I had a FSM I would already be done, I hate those Hanes manuals!

No one has any ideas? Oh no, the wife is going to love this (now look at what another one of your modifications has done!). Please give your thoughts, anyone have a FSM for a 93? Where to look for DTRL module?

A reduced voltage? I think I'd try a different relay first, with a lower triggering requirement.

OTOH, if it's a fast on-off pulse, that is not going to help.

ChiXJeff

Well, it couldn't get much easier.

You can just unplug the harness from the DRL. Nothing else needs to be done. You do lose the DRL function.

The DRL is located on the right fender wall near the firewall.

It is 3"x3"x1-1/4" black plastic box(with a Chrysler logo).

You can have it all, and it isn't that hard. Take the trigger voltage for the high beam and low beam relays from the wire before it gets to the DRL module. Leave the DRL module hooked up. Connect the running lights output from the DRL module to the power lines going to the high beams on the output side of the relay. This way the only place the DRL voltage can go is to the high beams, it can't turn on the relay. And the DRL voltage will only be on when it should be, since the DRL module is till fully connected. All it takes is connect the relays from the right place in the oem wiring (before the DRL module), and splice one wire from DRL output to connect to high beam power line below the relay.

Back