• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 not shifting to over drive

jeepster96

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1996 xj with a aw4 to a 231 case, when im out on the highway it wont drop down into over drive. or sometimes it will bounce in and out, its very annoying and hard on gas milage. any advice would help

Does your exhaust make alot of noise? If so Id replace your catalyst converter. Mine did this til I chopped the exhaust off, and everything was dandy.

I had the same issue with my '92 last year. The converter would not lock up on the highway, or would do it intermittantly, and I would be doing like 3k rpm at highway speed. I changed the brake light switch because the brake lights were not lighting up and my tranny probelm seemed to go away. I got into my FSM and sure enough, one of the 3 sets of contacts dealt with converter lock up. what happend is that the switch was wore out and the TCU saw the brakes as being on and prevented the converter from locking up. Something to look into maybe???

Mine was the brake light switch. There was two of them on my pedal, the easy to see one was find, the not so easy to see one needed some adjustment.

at any rate whatever it may be, it probably is not much, more of a bad connection than anything. Since the AW4 is electricially controlled a bad connection shows those signs. with the brake light switch being the only mechanical point it was a good point to look at......good lucks to ya

jeepster96 said:
ya all my brake lights work fine, no there is no codes on it.

Mine did too, thats why I said there is two switches, 1 for he lights and one that controls the torque converter lockup.

Back