• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I bake my engine ?

VictorVonSwank

NAXJA Forum User
I've been driving around for a few weeks with a leaky water pump I assume. Adding water to the rad gets me around for the day. Well, with one radator fill up, the cap wasnt tightened the whole way. I drove about 8 miles( constant 45-50mph) that way with most or all of the water blowing out of the cap.
It pinged on harder acceleration. Previously spilled oil on the valve covers was starting to vaporize. I then pulled over, tightened the cap and add water tot he overflow only. Drove 2 more miles to the service station.
1998, 114,000 miles, 4.0,
no previous problems
fresh mobil one oil change
50 deg outside.
temp gauge read 210 but means nothing if the water is low right ? Steam ?

I beleive I cooked the engine a bit but not sure how much.
What are the chances I ruined the engine or that this thing will survive ?

thanks

Guess this means I can get a new XJ !

I ran one 7 mi. at temp. that was prob. pegged. I noticed on my way home that temp. was rising and didn't pay much attention to it, about half way over the mountain I noticed it pegged, no place to pull over or any liquid to replace, I made it to my buddies house, four more miles.
When I shut it off it "dieseled" like all hell and finally shut off. It was so hot it burned off and melted any grease on the eng. I had to replace the valve cover gasket, the inside of the valve cover was covered in baked on oil, looked like I had sprayed it with brown paint.
Long story short, that engine ran fine afterwards ('95 4.0) and when I stopped driving it there were 206K miles on it, has over 350k now, yes its still running.
I'd change the oil if you already haven't and give it a good once over for any probs.

Well, this is making me feel better. I would hate to see her die after spending $600 on wheels and tires and about $500 on the exhaust tube and passing up an oppurtunity to trade it in a few weeeks ago.
I have them fixing the water pump anyway.

It all started to go downhill when i replaced the serpentine belt and had a very hard time loosening the tension pulley bolt that they put on very hard when then replaced my exhast header with my banks tube.

I ran mine at 260* on the trail, until my coolant bottle popped. It's just fine. Can't beat cast iron blocks and heads.

Its Ok

After a quick water pump change by a mechanic everything seems ok.
Engine sounds a little different and it's probably better if I didnt overheat it but she survived.
The weep hole is nice but it makes it look like the hose is the item that is leaking.

Thanks all.

Back