• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny leak

dunbad

NAXJA Forum User
Really sorry about all the questions of late but i have some more! As some of you know i overfilled my transmission with roughly 3 litres of the mopar trans fluid. Well since putting automatic transmission fluid in that meets dexron 3, ive noticed a leak that ive sourced back to the starter motor? Its appearing at the join of the alloy plate where it bolts to the starter motor on the oil pan side. And about half way down on the motor at this seal i guess. The top of the motor is dry and there is no trace of tranny fluid inside the flexplate. Or on the inside of the bellhousing. I can physically see it appear at this seal with the starter motor. It then runs down the outside to the flexplate vent. I removed one bolt to the starter but couldnt remove the second bolt because i havent a whitworth socket only metric. With that first bolt removed though, it accelerated the leak abit even though the engine was off so i guess confirming its source? To confirm, above the starter is dry, the dipstick is dry the rear of the bellhousing is dry. How has this happened? Also can i assume that with that second bolt removed the starter just slips forward and out. Im also asuming that somehow tranny fluid got sucked in there and is now slowly spitting it back out??or has its source tricked me!

Sounds like you have some trans fluid that got blown up into your starter. If the front seal of the trans or the torque converter were the source you would have that area pretty well covered in fluid, not dry.

Check your trans cooler lines for leaks. If not from them then probably just residual fluid.

yeah the trans cooler lines are ok, perhaps slightly moist at the pan connectors, but not drip drip! Ill take the starter off and clean it out as best i can? Or not to worry as its only residual and should stop eventually. Also does the motor just slip straight out towards the front of the vehicle with both those odd bolts out?

yeah the trans cooler lines are ok, perhaps slightly moist at the pan connectors, but not drip drip! Ill take the starter off and clean it out as best i can? Or not to worry as its only residual and should stop eventually. Also does the motor just slip straight out towards the front of the vehicle with both those odd bolts out?

It will slip out.

Tough call on the fluid. You have an ignition source, the starter, and a flammable liquid, the fluid.

You could try something like Simple Green cut with water and in a pump-up garden sprayer to try and clean that area out. The best would be to pull the starter and clean it with electrical parts cleaner spray.

I have seen some awful messes that were being driven around.

Back