• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get an OEM fan clutch?

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Besides the stealership where would be the best place to get an OEM fan clutch? I checked Wholesalemoparonline and they were out of stock. I tried a Hayden fan clutch but it was junk right out of the box. Surely don't want to pay $90 for a fan clutch but what others would be good? Heard the Torqflo from Autozone is always engaged as well as the ZJ fan clutch. Any suggestions on sites to get an OEM on would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Sean

um i got here first... I goto NAPA i cant remember the exact year for the ZJ can clutch w/o max cooling that bolts right up to the xj and is the same as the HD fan clutch you can buy for $100.

NAPA part# 272310

I wouldn't go with any HD fan clutch unless you are towing at a slow speed at higher rpm like up a steep incline.

Just go to the junkyard and look for the newest and lowest mileage XJ you can find. Any XJ fan clutch will work. Thats the best place to buy the cheapest and best fan clutches. The Hayden ones are junk, you are right.

^^^^I've read that it is constantly engaged..?

Standard Fan Clutch:

• Turns fan 60-70% of shaft speed when engaged.
  • Disengage to 20-30% of the shaft speed
  • Used with lighter pitch fans. (1-1/2” of pitch).
  • Flat plate impeller design with 11.4 Sq. In. of working surface.
  • Identified by a smooth steel faceplate & thermal spring assembly on the front side.
Heavy-Duty fan clutch:

• Turns the fan 80-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling.
  • Turns the fan 20-30% of the shaft speed when disengaged.
  • Used with deeper pitch fans. (2 -1/2” of pitch).
  • Land and groove design with 26.0 Sq. In. of working area allows higher operating RPM’s.
  • Identified by finned aluminum faceplate and thermal spring on the front.
If you use the HD fan clutch you will hear it when it is engaged unless you are deaf or have a really great sound system.

It is dollar for dollar the best upgrade to a stock XJ cooling system, IMHO.

The HD clutch is great - if you have a cooling problem. Old, clogged up single core radiators cause it, tho, and a HD clutch will reduce what little mileage we get. The clutch won't help the radiator do a better job, it just increases air flow at the expense of horsepower.

If you have cooling issues and the radiator is over 8 years old (what Cherokee isn't now) you really have a problem with the limited flow and capacity of the cheap stock radiator. The aren't efficient anymore. Go to a new two core, flush the engine block with vinegar, and don't bother with the gas hog fan clutch you don't really need.

The HD clutch is really a band aid for more serious radiator problems being ignored.

The HD clutch is great - if you have a cooling problem. Old, clogged up single core radiators cause it, tho, and a HD clutch will reduce what little mileage we get. The clutch won't help the radiator do a better job, it just increases air flow at the expense of horsepower.

If you have cooling issues and the radiator is over 8 years old (what Cherokee isn't now) you really have a problem with the limited flow and capacity of the cheap stock radiator. The aren't efficient anymore. Go to a new two core, flush the engine block with vinegar, and don't bother with the gas hog fan clutch you don't really need.

The HD clutch is really a band aid for more serious radiator problems being ignored.

The stock XJ cooling system is a joke. It is barely adequate for cruising down a fairly smooth forest service road in 4hi on a cool spring morning.

The stock XJ cooling system is not worth a damn in 4lo/city stop-n-go/hwy traffic jams, or much worth a damn on any day the temp outside is above 90 degrees.

So what can be done? Well, you can buy a new radiator, two or three core. Cost with shipping usually $150+. Of course, that new radiator works great when you are cruising down the road and AIR FLOW is all you need. But what about when you are not getting all that free air flow? A marginally improved surface-to-air cooling increase, and that is debatable because of the additional tubes may actually have contributed to air flow restriction.

I stand by the HD fan clutch.

How much bigger/longer is the HD ZJ fan clutch? I've got a CSF 3 core radiator. I see the part number listed is for the ZJ w/out max cooling. They also have one for max cooling. Which of the two do I want?

How much bigger/longer is the HD ZJ fan clutch? I've got a CSF 3 core radiator. I see the part number listed is for the ZJ w/out max cooling. They also have one for max cooling. Which of the two do I want?

Not the Max Cooling--it won't fit.

The HD ZJ fan clutch NAPA 272310, $62, has a larger diameter but is the EXACT same depth as the stock fan clutch.

i run the zj fan clutch with a CSF 3 core. you wont have any probs i diddnt. you want the one w/o "with out" max cooling. definetly a good upgrade. The electric fan hardly has to kick on when im crawling. Has for horse power loss come on are you serious i diddnt notice anything but i dont run my xj down the 1/4 mile so to each there own. For the noise its not that bad, but you can hear more than the stock one.

I must be in luck. Out here the ZJ fan clutch is only 45 bones. Perhaps I'll give that a try. Is it engaged at highway speeds as well?

No, it disengages just like the standard fan clutch.

Consider that the ZJ has no electric fan so they have to cool it just with the mechanical fan. My wifes 97 runs cool no matter what she's doing with it. Considering the 4.0 is literally jammed into that ZJ engine compartment I think they did a pretty good job.
As for the stock XJ, I took care of my cooling system from day one when I got it new. It still has the original radiator in it and has over 333,000mi on it. Car Quest also carries the OEM one, you just need to have your original one with you because they will bring out three, only one is shallow enough.

As long as it disengages at highway speeds, it won't cost you any gas mileage. Seems like a winner.
That's what I'm thinking. Can anybody confirm that it actually disengages at highway speeds??

Consider that the ZJ has no electric fan so they have to cool it just with the mechanical fan. My wifes 97 runs cool no matter what she's doing with it. Considering the 4.0 is literally jammed into that ZJ engine compartment I think they did a pretty good job.
As for the stock XJ, I took care of my cooling system from day one when I got it new. It still has the original radiator in it and has over 333,000mi on it. Car Quest also carries the OEM one, you just need to have your original one with you because they will bring out three, only one is shallow enough.

It's an actual Mopar OEM replacement? How much was it?

That's what I'm thinking. Can anybody confirm that it actually disengages at highway speeds??

It's an actual Mopar OEM replacement? How much was it?

It was like $60 or so, it had the same part number on it as the original I took out. It was shinier though :D :D :D

The clutch on my 96 4.0 is shot. I was thinking about getting one from the dealer, but now I think I'll go with the ZJ clutch.
Do I need to remove the shroud to replace the clutch?
Are all the ZJ clutches wo max cool the same?
Thanks.

NAPA 272310 is the one you want, $44.

I removed the two little bolts at the top of the fan shroud and popped its' bottom tabs free, then worked around it.

Back