• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Engine Light Came On

JeepBliss

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I just bought a '99 with 100k miles on it. It runs strong and beside needing new tires it has nothing wrong with it.
I went to run an arrand for work and my check engine light came on, it wasn't on this morning when I went into work. It doesn't run any different and I don't hear any weird noises.
Do I need to replace the 02 sensor, or check something else? How do I know what I am supposed to look at?
Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks.

Monique

Check engine light can be 1 of about 300 things...bring it to a place like autozone and ask them to scan it and give you the error code and description...they should do this for free... then you can report back here with that information for us to help you...

Just to add my .02......my CEL recently came on and I went to Schuck's....I think they're called Kroger and something else depending on your geographic location. Anyway, 2 months ago when my CEL popped on they totally took care of me and checked the light and even reset the computer for me for free......I went back in last week with the new CEL and they said they were under new management and they weren't offering that free service anymore. When I asked why, the clerk said mgmnt wants people to pay to go through an actual shop.....

Just wanted to spread the word to avoid them at all costs and stick with Autozone....at least they'll still do it for free

Ok, so I went to 2 different autozones to have them test my CEL. Well both of the machines didn't work when they plugged them in and all of the fuses tested ok. What now?

Monique

Without the code it could be anything..... Guessing won't help.

If you have to, look in the phone book for a local independent shop and run over there. I'm sure they won't charge any more than a few bux to read the code....

If not then you will have to buy a code reader. I bought one off of e-bay for like $60.....

Just for info its CSK Auto Inc. now--Checker, Schucks, Kragen and Murrays, and they are joining with OReilly too.

I checked the CSK website, and apparently the individual stores can provide what services they want to. Call around, even some independant auto parts stores offer the code reading service, and some shops will do it for free too.

Buying the OBDII code reader is your best bet, as you will be seeing that light again and again.

This info copied from a post by "GOAT"...

You should check out your OBDII port...

OBDII connector
#4 - Chassis Gnd
#5 - Signal Gnd
#7 - K
#15 - L
#16 - +12V
K & L are bus lines.
The K line is the bi-directional line.
It both transmits & receives to all on board nodes on the bus as well as any off-board nodes that are connected.
The L line is a uni-directional line. It is for off-board nodes & is transmit ONLY!
You can check these too, key on & check the voltage on K & L with respect to signal gnd (#5).
In the Idle state, the logic should be high (12V).
The K-Line might give you a funny number (7-8V maybe)...all that means is that there is traffic on the bus.

I had the guys plug in the OBDII port and the meter wouldn't even turn on. I then tested all of my fuses with a meter and they all tested fine.

Monique

I had the guys plug in the OBDII port and the meter wouldn't even turn on. I then tested all of my fuses with a meter and they all tested fine.

Monique

yanno the meter wont turn on unless you turn the keys to the on position, i say this because ANYONE can work at autozone, i seriously mean anyone... as long as you can work their computers they will hire you with absolutly no mechanical expierence

if you lived in CA i would offer my obd 2 to use. maybe you can post in your chapter and see who owns a obd2, describe ur problem and im sure they will be glad to help

also... if it dont turn on it DOES have a turn on button, and whos to say that their batteries wernt dead in the controller :gee:

That's what I thought too. But I went to 2 different store and the same thing happened. They pushed the power button and the key was on and still nothing.

my obd 2 takes a moment to get started and read the code... but like i suggessted, goto ur chapter, find someone who has an obd2 knows how it works, how to use it and they will be able to better help you, those shops will rape you just to read that code, most likely, they will charge you 80 bucks standard 1 hour shop fee.

my obd 2 takes a moment to get started and read the code... but like i suggessted, goto ur chapter, find someone who has an obd2 knows how it works, how to use it and they will be able to better help you, those shops will rape you just to read that code, most likely, they will charge you 80 bucks standard 1 hour shop fee.

I have known shops like those, they usually don't last long.

Some guys will charge a set amount just to recover the cost of the equipment, and that is fair. When you have spent a couple grand on test equipment you have a right to earn that back.

That said, with today's cost of low-line code readers there are shops that will read your code for free, and with a smile, and hope that a kindness is the best marketing tool.

Good luck.

Just to add my .02......my CEL recently came on and I went to Schuck's....I think they're called Kroger and something else depending on your geographic location. Anyway, 2 months ago when my CEL popped on they totally took care of me and checked the light and even reset the computer for me for free......I went back in last week with the new CEL and they said they were under new management and they weren't offering that free service anymore. When I asked why, the clerk said mgmnt wants people to pay to go through an actual shop.....

Just wanted to spread the word to avoid them at all costs and stick with Autozone....at least they'll still do it for free

CSK- checker, shrucks, kregen- used to check codes. i took my moms car to check if the missfire cylender 4 code had cleared. they told me that now o'rileys will not let them anymore. they just lost my buisness for good. now its down to VAuto Zone for the cheap crap and NAPA for parts.

i was able to get one of the guys at vato zone to read the codes, but could not clear the codes by company policy.

yanno the meter wont turn on unless you turn the keys to the on position, i say this because ANYONE can work at autozone, i seriously mean anyone... as long as you can work their computers they will hire you with absolutly no mechanical expierence

if you lived in CA i would offer my obd 2 to use. maybe you can post in your chapter and see who owns a obd2, describe ur problem and im sure they will be glad to help

also... if it dont turn on it DOES have a turn on button, and whos to say that their batteries wernt dead in the controller :gee:
today i finally gave up with useing someone else to read the codes for me. i got a basic OBD II scanner for 64 bucks. it displays the codes as well as able to erase them and display some other data. well worth it for not having to go to those idiots at vauto zone for something very easy to do myself. and the OBD I scanner for jeeps was about $25 and some change.

First off, I'm an old "gear head" guy who is new to Jeeps...after reading a bunch about XJ's I got hooked. Just got my first engine light on my recently purchased 99' at 148,000 miles. Had the code read and got a 0455/gross evap leak or no flow. Checked all the vac lines and found 2 deteriorated rubber couplers which I replaced. Previous to the light coming on I had a strong gas smell for 2 days after filling the tank, then the light came on. Crawled all over it looking for a leak, but nothing.
Bought it a month ago and ran the vin at the Jeep dlr. Vehicle came from Washington State originally & has Calif emissions according to Jeep dlr.
It's been runing fine the whole time...but the light is still on. Reset needed??? and how/who to do it?
Oh yeah, who has the #II reader for $64 ?..sounds like I'll be needing one for sure.
Also recently picked up a 12 counterweight 4.2 crank that's 10/10. Plan on doing a stroker down the road a bit. 4.0 runs strong, but there's no replacement for displacement.

today i finally gave up with useing someone else to read the codes for me. i got a basic OBD II scanner for 64 bucks. it displays the codes as well as able to erase them and display some other data. well worth it for not having to go to those idiots at vauto zone for something very easy to do myself. and the OBD I scanner for jeeps was about $25 and some change.

so you got the scanner... whats the code? lol

Back