• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pontiac is gettin stabbed in the back

Did you notice that Pontiac out sold Buick and Caddy last year. GM will never kill Caddy and I guess Buick is huge in China.

I wonder why they just don't get rid of GMC. There is no difference between GMC and Chevy.

Its stupid but there's people who would buy a Ford or Dodge if GMC or Chevy trucks went away. I'd say focus GMC on actually being "Professional Grade". Have GMC build HDs and above, like the 2500, 3500, 4500, and Top-Kick, plus the Denali, and Acadia. Let Chevy focus on the 1500, Colorado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Trailblazer, Traverse, and Suburban.

There's been talk of making Pontiac more of a niche model for a little while, focusing on the sporty side (Solstice, G8) rather than rebadging Chevys (G5, G6,), Toyota (Vibe).

Pontiac needs to go. GMC needs to go (unless Chevy trucks go instead). Buick needs to go.

There is no need for the brand redundancy that goes on at GM. Today is not 1960, the market cannot support it. They should have leaned out years ago.

Its stupid but there's people who would buy a Ford or Dodge if GMC or Chevy trucks went away. I'd say focus GMC on actually being "Professional Grade". Have GMC build HDs and above, like the 2500, 3500, 4500, and Top-Kick, plus the Denali, and Acadia. Let Chevy focus on the 1500, Colorado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Trailblazer, Traverse, and Suburban.

I've read that elseware and I've never been able to figure that out, it's the same freakin' truck and pretty much has been since the 70's.

Funny that Pontiac doesn't produce a car that looks like everything else.

Must be part of the re-structuring ... keeps costs lower, since all the other vehicles are essentially the same (which I HATE, btw).

Funny that Pontiac doesn't produce a car that looks like everything else.

Must be part of the re-structuring ... keeps costs lower, since all the other vehicles are essentially the same (which I HATE, btw).

The last 2 big cars Pontiac has put out, GTO and the G8, are both transplants from Australia.

GM just sold all (many) of their Opel (GM Germany) patents to Bank of America. Opel was the only Division of GM; that was actually making money and they raped it. The Opel engineers and many others are really pissed off.

Personally I've never liked anything Pontiac made....

And FTR bigalpha, the Vibe looks exactly like a Toyota Matrix.

2009_Pontiac_Vibe_image_0_18337.jpg

And IIRC, a Pontiac Torrent is the same as a GMC Terrain....or very similar....

Camaro vs Firebird (ok, older, but built on the same ugly platform)

The G5 and Chevy Cobalt are built at the same plant, which to me says, same/similar platform....

Last edited:

The G5 and Chevy Cobalt are built at the same plant, which to me says, same/similar platform....

Torrant=Equinox=Vue

Right on, I stand corrected. How interchangeable are the parts between those models?

Body wise not much. Engine wise all of it. INterior I dont think anything. Its one of few vehicles that I have seen that sahers the same chassis and suspension but boyd and interior share very few similarities.

Did you notice that Pontiac out sold Buick and Caddy last year. GM will never kill Caddy and I guess Buick is huge in China.

I wonder why they just don't get rid of GMC. There is no difference between GMC and Chevy.

Hmmmm.....I thought all the Buick buyers had died! :shiver:

GM just sold all (many) of their Opel (GM Germany) patents to Bank of America. Opel was the only Division of GM; that was actually making money and they raped it. The Opel engineers and many others are really pissed off.

Unfortunately that is typically what happens to cash cows when they get bought out and taken over. If it was human, they would call it rape, instead they call it good business, free market capitalism, and they always leave the lifetime employees that built the company out in the cold. :shiver:

While I am fiercely independent, like the free market as a consumer most of the time (with a few exceptions, like under regulated out of control banks, and public utilities), would never join a union given a choice, and never work as an employee for a big company (I have been self employed since 1981), I hate the way big business, and even some small government agencies treat life long employees when the chips are down. It is also sad to see big pieces of Americana history come to an end.:bawl:

I didn't either. Then I rented a G8 GT in Maine. That thing is bad ass. Too bad the market doesn't really support that. It's sad, pontiac just doesn't make cars that make it well past 30K miles...usually.
I do agree about brand redundancy though, the Detroit big 3 could have concentrated on quality and not how many platforms they can get off of one chassis, with different "manufacture" badging.

Back