• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage cluster help

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
This is pertaining to my 1999 XJ.
I've done a few diagnostics and I want to know if I'm on the right track...
My start/run fuse is good. Are there any more fuses that I need to check? I couldn't find any other ones blown in the kick panel or under the hood. My dash lights, turn signals, and high beam indicator light work. I can't remember but I think my ebrake and four wheel drive indicators are out. Everything else is functioning just fine.
I cleaned my connectors and that didn't fix anything. I tried to follow the wires back and find some bad grounds and was unable to find the grounds at all, so I was unable to check that completely. There are no disconnected wires near the kick panel fuse block. Can someone tell me where the grounds are and if they are screwed in or a plug connector?
I probed all the cavities for voltage/resistance in the connectors that attach to the guage panel while the XJ ws running. Here's what I got, pardon the shitty diagram. Open is when I was not able to detect voltage or resistence. Most likely open switches?

Nearest the door:
---------------------
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
|6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10|
---------------------
1) 1.4 Ohms
2) 3.25 Ohms
3) .63 Ohms
4) 14V
5) 2.4 Ohms
6) Open
7) Open
8) 9-14v depending on where the dimmer was positioned
9) Open
10) 1 Ohm

Nearest the radio:
---------------------
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
|6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10|
---------------------
1) 1.9 Ohms
2) Open
3) 2.3 Ohms
4) 1.5 Ohms
5) 15.1 Ohms
6) Open/22 ohms (alternating--probably seat belt light)
7) Open
8) 13.8V
9) Open
10) Open

Right now I'm leaning toward the cluster being bad, unless someone can direct me to where a fuse might be blown or a ground might be weak. I had no corrosion on my circuits and none of my door speakers have gone bad and all my wiring works, so I'm somewhat confident that the wiring in my Heep is pretty reliable.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help but when you cleaned the connectors on back of the gauge take a pair of needle nose piler's and lighty twist the connectors to make a better connection.

Update: I went to a JY and got another cluster. It didn't solve my problem. I could be bad, but I'd like to explore other avenues also. Can anyone tell me where the grounds are for the cluster and which fuses operate it? Also, give me a quick how to on cleaning all the contacts. The ones on the back of the cluster were easy, but I don't know about the ones in the connectors

I have a 99' also and there is a FSM about the connectors on the back of the cluster.
mine will turn on the airbag light and all the gauges will turn off, all lights still work but no gauges. I found a spot on the dash i can give a good smack to and everything will work.
But since a few wheeling trips havent had the issue.

No one seems to be answering this question in a number of places on this forum, and JEEPForum: On a 1999 XJ, where under the dash is the G108 ground connection screw for gauge cluster plugs C1 and C2 ground wires? I see it in the 8W-90-30 Connector Locations diagram Fig. 21 (Instrument Panel LHD), but can't find it under the driver's side dash. I've removed the kick panel and both the plastic and metal plates under the steering column. To say "it's right above the hood release" doesn't help. It's not in view, upside down with a flashlight. Does someone have a photograph? I can't find it on Google either. Many thanks.

The instrument cluster and the radio are powered from the IOD fuse in the PDC. The instrument cluster is also powered from fuse F9 in the junction block fuse box. A nonfunctional instrument cluster that returns to functioning with a solid whack on the top of the dash has instrument panel connector issues that are often solved by cleaning and gently tweaking the contacts on the backside.

G108 is directly above the OBD diagnostic port.

NAXJA discourages posting copyrighted materials like pages 8W-90-26 from an easily located XJ Cherokee Factory Service Manual. Do an IMAGE search on Google. Use keywords XJ Cherokee G108.

Back