• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil change goes bad

xjeepers2

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i changed my oil last week from winter weight 5w-30 royal purple to summer weight 10w-30 valvalin synthetic. i changed the filter oil and re-did the seal on the valve cover. nothing new except oil. so my problem is now my jeep wont idle and it is putting out black smoke like its its job. if i rev the rpms up while in gear 1 and 2 when i hit 3400 it starts to cut out. so i really dont know whats wrong but its making me mad. So should i just change the oil? or did something else go wrong at the time of the oil change?

I would start checking around the top of the engine for loose vacuum lines.

Is the smoke black or blue-ish? Usually black smoke is an indication of too much fuel that is not being completely burned. Maybe you inadvertently messed something up on the fuel system???

so there is a hose tha goes to a little box right above the engine groud that may b off but i didnt think anything of it. i will check thanks
the smoke is black but im wondering if its bc the air fuel mix is bad bc of the hose i will fix prob 1 and get back. thanks guys

prob fixed it was that vacuum line.

Back