• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter mount

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
I went to a garage sale last weekend and found an owners manual for my 92 Cherokee and while looking thru it I came across the oil change section and there is a drawing showing the 2.5 liter engines having the oil filter screwed directly to the side of block like most cars. I was wondering if it was possible for the 4.0 engines to do the same thing. Maybe use the threaded stud from a 2.5 engine on the 4.0 and thereby bypassing the adaptor that everyone is always getting oil leaks from? Is there a reason we have the adaptor with the filter upside down as opposed to using a straight mount to the block? Just curious. Thanks

IMHO, your trying to solve a non-problem....
the adapter works fine, just change the o-rings every 10 years and you should be fine.

xcm, I pulled the OFA off to change the o-rings. My question is since I had to fight the bolt to get it off could I put some anti seize on the bolt in case I have to take it back off later?

I don't think it is the bolt being seized but rather the oil on the orings (or what's left of them) holding it snug.

I know whenver I do get that bolt out I am going to anti seize the threads for good measure. I have not been able to loosen it yet, though :(

Back