• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff cover - Rockcrusher or Ruff Stuff

Which diff cover?

• Rockcrusher

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Ruff Stuff Specialties

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Other

Votes: 19 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I have been reading up and I am hearing good stuff about both of these. I am looking at getting some beefy diff covers for my wife's TJ. D30/D44.

I have Poison Spyder covers on my XJ, but they were $140 each. I like them, but can save at least $75.

The two I am comparing right now are Rockcrusher and Ruff Stuff Specialties.

The Rockcrusher is about $140 total for 2 shipped to my door.
(http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=PKG-ROCKCRUSHER)

The Ruff Stuff is about $207 shipped to my door.
(http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com....html?osCsid=de52540303ff20ac5a3e3ec34a42f576)

Big difference in cost, but the covers are different. I like them both, so I am looking for advice/input.

I am looking for great input and any personal experience with either of these. I am also open to other suggestions. I have looked at the Blue Torch Fab and Crane, but they are more $$$. I also heard some negatives about BTF avialability and customer service.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i'd go wih the rockcrusher based on the price difference. with a 30/44 i'm guessing you aren't doing the super, super extreme trails, so either one will be overkill.

edit: actually, Ruff Stuff is a NAXJA sponsor and gives a 10% discount to NAXJA members, so take that into consideration also: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96912

I have the Ruff Stuff covers on the front and rear of my rig. HP60, 14B.
They laugh at rocks. :laugh3:
I like the RS covers since they're 3/8" welded steel, and can be modified easily. I plan on shaving the gear and housings in the off-season, and the RS covers can reworked to fit.

Wow, I type way too slow.
Like the other guys said, Ruff Stuff gives NAXJA members 10% off.

Support the business that supports you.:patriot:

haha thats what i said! good price but i ordered mine over the phone and the lady said not to expect it till the middle of october towards the end. They havent even taken the money out of my account yet so. hopefully everything goes good with it.

KarlVP said:
Crane = beefcake.

End of discussion.

Not exactly...

way over priced......

but, for each his own...

well IMO I would do the RS front! Lots of pros.. Can be Easily welded to, can be hit three to infite times harder then a RC cover and not fail, can be easily mod'd if ever need be for any acces. and is supporting a NAXJA vendor.

Then do a RC rear or anything other then stock. If you actually hit the rear as often as the front and with as much force then maybe you need glasses lol

But IF they must match... Ruffstuff..

Its ugly, but I a fond of this...
http://baertrax.com/
bf2sm.jpg

Robert,
I went with Blue Torch, they will give you 10% off. Just ask them... I have tested mine, its solid.
Ken

Rock Crusher all the way!!! I love mine, I've beat the crap out of it, never had even a scratch!

Go to any compition and you'll see MANY Rock Crusher covers!!

Call the guys at Rock Crusher, they are good to deal with!! Rockcrusher Manufacturing - 330.538.9791

RalphXJ said:
Rock Crusher all the way!!! I love mine, I've beat the crap out of it, never had even a scratch!

Go to any compition and you'll see MANY Rock Crusher covers!!

Call the guys at Rock Crusher, they are good to deal with!! Rockcrusher Manufacturing - 330.538.9791

As noted though... Just dont try to use it for a mount for anything (welding to it is not friendly, and dont dont go smashing it full on with a the force of a 4000+ lbs rig.

Oh but if you have a professional spotter spotting ya you should be fine.. GO to any compition and you'll see many spotters.. :fuse:

Last edited:
One of the particular reasons I went with Blue Torch diff covers was the fact that I could mod them. I'm quite fond of changing diffs very, very, very frequently, but hated constantly pulling the diff cover to do so.

With the BT covers, I drilled and welded in a drain bung at the very bottom of the cover. Now, it's a simple matter of using an allen wrench to remove the plug, drain, put plug back in and remove fill plug and refill.

They've seen Wellsville,OH/Vinton County,OH/other OH places/Coal Creek, TN/Badlands,IN/Canadian Trails/and 5 days in Moab. Still solid, no leaking and all bungs intact.

Sure, they show signs of use. No dents, but a lot of scrapes and gouges. A little touch of paint and they show their character.

Hey Ken, what's up!? I'm up in seattle now. (met you in big bear a few months ago) Anyway, you went with bluetorch huh? I saw their d35 cover made for a truss. Thinkin about doin that, hopefully they make the truss, just sent them an email.

Back