• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Swap from an 00 XJ to a 97 XJ

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched through about 14 pages of search results until my eyes went cross. I'm hoping somebody can help.

I've got a line on a set of 2000 XJ seats, and I want to put them into my 97 XJ. I'm about 99% positive the front seats will be a direct swap, but I don't know about the rear. Has anyone done the swap, and is it a direct swap?

Also, would my 97 have the plugs under the carpet, should the new seats be power?

Seats should have the same mounting. My 97 (a Sport) didn't have wiring under the seat (at least that I've found yet), but I put power buckets out of a ZJ in with just two wires and a fuse. As long as the controls are on the seats, it shouldn't be an problem to wire them up.

1995.5-2001 the front seats swap (power and regular) 100%. I know from experience that 97-01 rears will swap (100%) and they should swap to much older Cherokees as well.

Power and manual seats will swap either way. The 97-01 power seat base contains the motors, just look. They run on 12 volts and ground, so power seats are an easy upgrade.

1995.5-2001 the front seats swap (power and regular) 100%. I know form expoerience that 97-01 rears will swap (100%) and they should swap to much older Cherokees as well.

The 97-01 power seat base contains the motors, just look. Power and maunual seats will swap either way. They run on 12 volts and ground, so power seats are easy to install.

Sweet, thank you. With the condition of my current seats (cig burns & dirty). It's easier just to replace the seats.

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd take on to this existing thread with some similar questions.

How hard is it to get the center console out? I'm considering buying a large chunk of the interior from this 2000 jeep.

Basically, I want to swap the seats, console, carpet, and sun visors, so the interior sorta looks like a factory color scheme.

console is easy to take out as well, there is a screw under the t-case selector, a few under the arm rest inside the console and I believe one in a cup holder. You will possibly need to remove the "riser " that is under console that is protecting the air bag module b/c they are sometimes holding part of the carpet down, but other then that is is very straight forward.

also, without looking I think there may be some screws by the shift lever under the trim plate.....

console is easy to take out as well, there is a screw under the t-case selector, a few under the arm rest inside the console and I believe one in a cup holder. You will possibly need to remove the "riser " that is under console that is protecting the air bag module b/c they are sometimes holding part of the carpet down, but other then that is is very straight forward.

also, without looking I think there may be some screws by the shift lever under the trim plate.....

I'm assuming the shifter lever has to come off. Is it just push in the button on the T shifter, pull, and hope you don't break any teeth?

you dont even have to push the button in, just put in in D1 and get in the back seat and give it a good pull and it will pop off, just make sure you dont pop yourself in the face or in the jewels. :D

you dont even have to push the button in, just put in in D1 and get in the back seat and give it a good pull and it will pop off, just make sure you dont pop yourself in the face or in the jewels. :D

Thanks for the info.

Last time I tried that, I nearly cracked a tooth because I was gnashing my teeth expecting it to be a hard pull and it just popped off.

Lol there's another thread where people have told about punching themselves in the face and getting bloody noses etc, etc...

Anybody know what packages came with separate head rests? Mine are built in and I would like to have them adjustable.

Country, Classic or Limited had the detachable headrests. SE and Sports have the one piece seats. As with any Jeep product, there will be some exceptions, but those are the basic ones.

Back