• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core.... Need Advice

CheechTheJeep

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of months ago, I changed the radiator in my 1990 xj. We swapped to the open system. After everything was done I turned on the heat and antifreeze was blowing through the heat vents.
I put off changing the heater core because I didn't want to deal with it. However, it's starting to get cold out and I want my heat back!
I'm planning on doing the swap this weekend. My library website has a car repair database on it, the data base says I only have to remove the lower part of the dash. Is this true? Any other tips for replacement? Any pictures would be wonderful too. I have no experience with heater cores, so I'm just kinda winging this.

Thanks!

I don't know about the 90 but on my 98 the entire dash has to come out, it's easliy an 8 hour disassembly job. There are couple here who have done in the 97+ models and posted pics. I have been getting whiffs of antifreeze the last couple of weeks, just occasionally and my A/C evaporator is also bad, reaching a point where I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get both replaced while it's apart..

I took the lower panel of the dash off, and it looks like I get can get to every thing. I guess I don't know exactly what I'm looking at, but I'll figure it out eventually. Does anyone know of any write-ups on the swap?

Just did mine you need to remove the whole dash then there are like 6 bolts that go throught the firewall anjd hold the heater box in.. Its a pain in the ass but not really that hard just frustrating

traitor5150 said:
Just did mine you need to remove the whole dash then there are like 6 bolts that go throught the firewall anjd hold the heater box in.. Its a pain in the ass but not really that hard just frustrating

What year was this in? I will be doing mine this weekend as well

I did this in my 90 2 weeks ago. You DO NOT have to remove the whole dash. I really can't remember exact order, but there are 4 screws that have to be removed that hold the heater box to the rest of the ductwork. You have to remove the nuts on the studs going through the firewall. And then you have to undo the 2 dash pivot bolts just enough to pull it a little ways out. The box will drop out after all the stud nuts and screws are out. It took me about 6 hrs because I was in a dimly lit garage and got frustrated easy but its not as bad of a job on these older ones as a lot of people make it out to be. Get yourself that ref. manual at the library and you should be good to go.
Good Luck!
-Collin

Just finished mine up, its a total pain in the butt, not hard, but a lot of work. On mine you technically need to disconnect your a/c lines, or else it takes a lot of muscle to get the old one out and new one in.

I got everything done and it all lined back up, but now there is a gap at the bottom of the blower motor to firewall, which creates a wonderful leak inside when water runs down the windshield. I am thinking I'll just get some seam sealer and pump it in there, I do not feel like spending another 5 hours to tear apart the dash.

Back