• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beautiful XJ....Chinese??

This comes up every couple of months. I wonder how much it would cost to import one and if you could license it here.

these are the most beautiful thing i have ever seen.
i wish i could do this front clip on my MJ. that'd be a head turner.

$17k for a 4x4 in china.

Check out the old Mitsubishi Jeeps from the 1950s, those are crazy. I believe the company is called Bejing Jeep that has production rights on the 2500.

If you google "Beijing Jeep" you'll get a few good links to explain the whole affair. There was a long and detailed book on the joint venture, which I read some time ago, but unless there's an appendix, it's over a decade old, so it doesn't cover the current situation. Basically, it's a story of bad planning, cultural incompatibility, the Chinese trying to rip off the Americans by paying them in money that they couldn't use outside of china, and the Americans trying to rip off the Chinese by making them buy the cars in virtual kit form including parts the Chinese could have manufactured themselves. It was a shaky marriage at best. Beijing Cherokees are now being made in a renewed joint venture with Daimler-Chrysler, which pretty much precludes their becoming available here to compete with D-C's native products.

XJoshua said:
Check out the old Mitsubishi Jeeps from the 1950s, those are crazy. I believe the company is called Bejing Jeep that has production rights on the 2500.

I got a good look at one of these a couple of weekends ago. Pretty cool LHD. Had a mitsubishi emblem on the front. The guy bought it years ago and hasnt done a thing to it, looked sweet, just like a willy

its funny to look at closely... look at the pic of the tail gate its the old style tail gate with an old school bumper that has parking sensors and lights in it along with a nice set of tow hooks!!

looks like the took the best of the best and put it together!

LilRhodyXJ said:
its funny to look at closely... look at the pic of the tail gate its the old style tail gate with an old school bumper that has parking sensors and lights in it along with a nice set of tow hooks!!

looks like the took the best of the best and put it together!

I couldn't agree with you more. I love the old-school body panels from the firewall back, plus the new-school interior with some updates. It's a good mix. Best part: All the pictures show stick Jeeps. Now that's a real truck. Automatic is for grandma's.

--2 - 5spd XJ's

old_man said:
This comes up every couple of months. I wonder how much it would cost to import one and if you could license it here.

I was thinking the same thing, but I read an article in JP magazine talking about seeing one of those. He called them "Franken Jeeps", in that the ones he looked were put together inconsistently. He mentioned that some of them had Dodge Durango tail lights, or basically whatever they could find to fit on the assembly-line.

DC would have fits if someone started importing the XJ, there are alot of non offroaders that love the XJ and many bemoan DC's decision to drop it. One neighbor would buy two then trade it in every 3 years on a new one, he did that from day one when they first came out. Once they dropped it he switched to the big honda suv, not the ridgeline, commutes to NJ daily, 140mi. The second one was for his wife, now she's got a grand...

I dont read JP magazine anymore, not enough XJ stuff, and some of the articles are for dummies or kids who have just started to drive.

JeepDoggyDog said:
I was thinking the same thing, but I read an article in JP magazine talking about seeing one of those. He called them "Franken Jeeps", in that the ones he looked were put together inconsistently. He mentioned that some of them had Dodge Durango tail lights, or basically whatever they could find to fit on the assembly-line.

Those JP guys are morons.If you read the issue (or 2) before that one, they had a several page article on a Chinese 4x4 club, and mentioned the Cherokee there- saying that it was a Chrysler sanctioned and supprted product, and they praised it!

If you run the first tab on that page through the Google translator it comes up with this:
The scrolling text reads:
"No such age and shape, MO ask the identity and class.
Only if they have not been worn down by passion, you jeep2500 qualified masters.
Full Moon driving its patrolling in the city, lonely or wandering in the wilderness.
Lonely believe share the pride that only the students and you will then understand something.
Beijing Jeep Corporation, Ltd of new products jeep2500 to uphold tonight Jeep blood
Not yielding for you up at the center, free from unnecessary, trials and hardships. "

first bullet reads:
"Appearance, space pride succeed

Open-minded and fearless, and have faith in the skull 13 years.
Jeep2500 05 'version, equipped with a sunroof opened into an ambition no restrictions.
Exterior design of a series of improvements, all of you rave poetic heart, the tumultuous external. "

2nd bullet:
Manipulation, advance and retreat

Really men, well, they will not dilemma.
Like jeep2500 05 'version, equipped ABS/EBD to adapt to a stronger and more cross-country journey set foot on security assurances, with outstanding manipulative your heavily armed.

3rd bullet:
Decorative see strong intrinsic

Hero word, it is not written in their faces, but strong internal.
Therefore, jeep2500 05 'version, equipped with titanium silver decoration, wash eyes with a vanity style, tough, concise form, he drove the road, every time you soulful self-British Gas break.

citRon said:
Those JP guys are morons.If you read the issue (or 2) before that one, they had a several page article on a Chinese 4x4 club, and mentioned the Cherokee there- saying that it was a Chrysler sanctioned and supprted product, and they praised it!
Agreed, I liked the magazine immensely when Pewe' was the editor, but since he left it has been down hill ever since. I lived in Asia for a number of years (Navy Brat) and I have to say unless something has radically changed in China I am not surprised if what Cappa said is true. I have observed Jeepney's made in the Phillipines, to old Isuzu and Mercedes hybrid trucks in Thailand and Hong Kong and I never could see much consistency in the end result it seemed like those guys would use whatever part was handy and would fit. It was hilkarious to watch them working on their personal vehicles in the public works yard.

Back