• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A new set up for my heep.

Ryno XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Made a trip down to Billy's( Hellbilly) and had him make a few alterations to 'ol orange. Man he does kick ass work, this rides so much better now. I got to hit some dirt soon!
Jeepbuildpics001.jpg

Jeepbuildpics002.jpg

Jeepbuildpics003.jpg

Jeepbuildpics004.jpg

Jeepbuildpics005.jpg

Jeepbuildpics006.jpg

Jeepbuildpics007.jpg

Jeepbuildpics008.jpg

Jeepbuildpics009.jpg

Thanks Billy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I gotta get new shocks!

Ahhhh the ole roll cage suspension kit. Looks good, but I'd be worried of those long spans flexing in the rough stuff. I think it'll work fine for wheeling, just watch it if your bombing. I'd probably run a diagonal up to the B and/or C pillars at the roof from the shock mounts. Just a suggestion because I've been there, done that.

-Dan

I like the rig, and want to do a minimal cage, through body shock design like that.

just a question from someone trying to design something similar...

why do you have the shocks mounted on dif planes.
I mean on the axle end they are perpendicular to the axle, but are parallel to the axle on the top end?

I don't run high speeds, but I would think if the axle stuffs, your putting a lot of stress on the bushings at the top. Instead of pivoting on the bolt, they compress/decompress the bushing.

I rode in it after Billy did the work, and it rides great!!

I hope I didn't come off like a jerk on my last post. Not my intention at all. I think the concept is good, just needs some reinforcing for desert romping. I drive my junk hard prerunning for the races, and have been forced to add a lot of support to keep things I thought were plenty stout from flexing. Also a friend of mine had a similar setup to yours and bent the tubes running front to back, and actually cracked the tubes next to the welds.

-Dan

The set up is sort of an experiment type thing. I know some guys run similar set-ups, and I wanted to give it a try. Putting the shocks further out on the axle seems to stabilize it better. The final design is still in progress, I did what I had the money for at the time. As some of you know, I have a complete inner and outer cage on my rig. It is pretty much a tank, but I probably be putting cross bracing across the shock tower. I need to see how it performs and modify accordingly.

Putting the shocks further out on the axle seems to stabilize it better.

Right on! The outboarded shocks made a huge difference in stability to mine too.
-Dan

I would like to do something like this "outboarded" shocks idea.
But I am curious about the mounting of the shocks either parallel or perpendicular to the axle.
I would be doing this on a trail rig, no high speed runs.
I figured mounting both top and bottom perpendicular to the axle would be better so they can pivot on the bolt, as opposed to compressing the bushings during flex.
any thoughts?

thanks.

With bushings, you would probably want to mount them perpendicular to the axle so they don't wear as fast. The better quality shocks use a heim and there is plenty of misalignment in them to mount them parallel.

-Dan

Man what a difference moving the shocks made! I was able to go out this weekend and test it out. It was a lot smoother and more stable on the fast stuff, and there was plenty of flex for the trail. I still need better shocks, but with the Rancho's I have it was still a world of difference!

Thanks again Billy!!!

Back