• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stopped for burger in Ocotillo.....

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
In San Diego over the weekend. I went hiking in the Yuha basin this morning. Stopped for a burger in Ocotillo at the bar and grill closest to the 8. The place use to have an old rat rod out front.

Noticed they had made a lot improvements. I also noticed that it was all Harleys in the lot. No motocross bikes, no jeeps, no weekend warrior rigs, just Harleys. The menu had change, shorter simpler and the awesome burger choices they had there a few years ago were no longer available. This place use to have some of the best burgers and shakes I ever had. No more.

Food was good though the prices sure went up a LOT.

Anyone know what happened? New owner? Decided they didnt like the OHV crowd?

John

Are you talking about the gas station on the north side of the 8?

It has been a few years since I was there last, normally just head over to the 'Lazy Lizard' and have a beer or two...

'The place is on the north side of the 8 along the east side of the S2. South of the Lazy Lizard and South of the store that has gas. They have an indoor dining area and an outdoor bar on the south side of the building. Use to take the kids there for lunch after a day (morning) of rock and fossil hunting or, when out without them, I would stop in for couple of beers and a burger. Some of the best burgers I ever had and the shakes were similarly outstanding. It was a great place, may still be but menu has changed dramatically, basic burgers, not unusually big anymore or with all the cheese and toping choices. The name changed and unlike past years where it was primarly an OHV crowd it was now only Harleys.

Flew 3000 miles, "wheeled" the rental, hiked my tail off all the while looking forward to burger with guacamole, grilled mushroom, grilled oninon and swiss. Whine & snivel all I got was good hot fresh burger with nothing fancy on it.

I really shouldnt complain. The Mug was frosty and I got a new frosty mug on the refill. Now that was refreshing!!!!

John

Back