• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

update on the axel u-joints

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got the hub off but it came off with the axel shaft still on it.

my questions is as i pulled the axel shaft out gray fluid came out thats the diff fluid right?

Im gonna have to put more in the Diff to bring it back to level right?

please help guys

I used the spark plug against the ear and the knuckle and turn the steering wheel but i had to straighten out the little plate agaist the axel shaft being that it bent. but it was no problem good idea thanks for the info.

The gray fluid is diff fluid. You will have to top it off. You may want to drain the diff at this time, clean it out and check your gears. Then fill it with new gear lube. Just an idea. Good luck.

Ted

Yes, it would be an ideal time to change the gear lube. Just pop the cover off. Refill it to the bottom of the fill hole. I run 80/90 in mine.

i would love to change the fluid but i dont have a gasket for the thing will plain old RTV do?

also is there any noises i should listen out for when driving to indicate a mistake?

i think i did everything right i only did the drivers side being that my u-joint was change on the passenger before, plus i dont know about that vacumm disconnect and i dont want to mess anything up.

by the way not only was the hub extremely hard to get out the druvers side but it was even harder to get it back in the axel was going in find but the hub was giving trouble to mount on the hole for the screws i eventually tapped it close to the knuckle and screwed in the screws.

thanks again

Put the RTV on the cover. Let it skin over a bit and then install it. It'll be much easier to clean up the housing the next go-round.

ok

and how about the passenger side u-joint it should still be good from last year right?

i have a question is there away to change a axel u-joint with alot of experience other than taking off the brakes,caliper,rotor,hub,etc a faster way i mean?

i only ask because now that i work on my own vehicle if my memory serves me correct i dont remember him taking off the said parts at all i do recall him having to heat up the axel bolt though i could be wrong maybe he did it so fast that i didnt even know he took it off they use to call him the magiver lol

also i here u have to disconnect a vacumm motor and i dont recall him doing this like i said it ws a year ago

i have the u-joint but when i think of the work i went through to get the hub off.........
its scary and to think i have to do more that last time cause of the vacumm disconnect i dont even know what this is or anything about it really

As far as I know, there's no way to change the axle u-joint without pulling the axle shaft. And, to pull the shaft you need to pull the hub...to pull the hub you need to remove the rotor...to remove the rotor you need to remove the brake caliper, and finally, to remove the caliper you need to remove the wheel and tire. Whew!

The vacuum disco axle is really no different, at least when it comes to pulling the axle shaft.

Back