• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 won't start (not your ordinary problem)

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay So i've had this jeep for just over a year and a half now. Ive never had any problems with it starting untill this morning. I had to click the key a couple of times to get it to fire up. When I would turn the key there was nothing but there was power to the vehicle. Then after a couple of trys it would start. It did this like 10 times in a row. Now it won't even try. The only way I can start it is to ground from the selenoid to the power wire on the starter, with a screw driver. Please let me know if you can help! Oh and it is a 4.0L AX-15 231 xj if that matters.

Take apart the battery connections, started connections and grounds. Clean them with scotchbrite or sandpaper and then electrical contact cleaner, brake cleaner, or spray start. Reconnect. Start vehicle!

If for some reason, that doesn't work, jump around the neutral safety switch on the transmission. You could try jiggleing the PRNDL in neutral and park to see if that helps, but that just shows that your NSS needs work (cleaning).

Like I said, mine is a AX-15 5spd, so there is no NSS to work on. I think Ive narrowed it down to either the Selonoid or the ignition switch. But any other ideas would be very greatfull. Anyone know about the switch that is hooked to the clutch for the start cancel or whatever?

Well I figured out what the problem was. It was mechanical not electrical. Right now I have to start my jeep by sticking someithng into the ignition switch and turning. There is a shaft that runs between the ignition lock (where you put the key in) to the ignition switch (the electrical part on the opposite side of the column from the lock) It has a metal shaft that is in a squared u shape. It seemed to have busted off one of the sides making it so that the ign. switch cant be activated, because it slides over the square shaft for opperation. I called the dealership and they said that they only carry the ign. lock and ign. switch. Nothing for what I need. So tomorrow I'm going to go look at the pictures and see if I can find it myself.

Wait, I have the same problem but why is it clicking if the ignition switch is not turning. Where is the safety switch on the clutch so I can test it. Mine will click even if you don't push in the clutch. HELP

Wait, I have the same problem but why is it clicking if the ignition switch is not turning. Where is the safety switch on the clutch so I can test it. Mine will click even if you don't push in the clutch. HELP

Hallo. The fact that the starter solenoid is clicking, means that NSS makes contact with ground. So that is ok.
So it can still be the battery. Or the contacts in the solenoid are broken.
If you connect the two big contacts (one is hot!) on the solenoid ( with a screwdriver),the startmotor has to spin.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Look on the clutch pedal up near the pivot. You should see the switch there. Yiu can jumper the switch and try the key. Make sure you're in Neutral!!!

On my Nissan PU, the switch was mounted to the pedal and contacted a bracket on the mount. There was a small plastic button that the switch bumped against when depressing the clutch. The plastic button broke and fell out so the switch simply poked through the hole and I had a no start. Snapped in a new button and life is good again.

Get under the dash and have a look. Also make sure there's nothing behind the clutch pedal to prevent you from depressing the pedal all the way.

Back