• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spline sockets?

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I am pulling my axle shafts and it looks like I need spline drive sockets? Dam I didnt wanna have to buy more freakin tools to work on this XJ. And what about the female torx? I can't find anything for that anywhere does spline drive work on them too?

If you're talking about what I think you are it's the 3 bolts in the back of the hub assembly? Use a normal 12-point socket or wrench, should be 13mm. Take off that big 36mm axle nut first, it's not as easy once that shafts are out.

ah so I dont need a spline drive socket? I dont wanna strip these bolts out.

rednek is correct. just a regular 12 point 13mm socket. it may take some persuasion to get the socket on there. be sure to hit those bolts with pb blaster if you have never taken them out. hit the other side of the bolts as well- you will be able to see the end of the bolt sticking through behind the axle flange.

are you just pulling the shaft assembly out? unless i am doing something to the unit bearing i just leave it attached to the axle shaft. then i dont have to screw with that PITA axle nut. i have been able to regear and install a locker without needing to take the axle nut out. but then i had to for changing axle shafts.

the unit bearing may be extremely difficult to get off of the knuckle. a slide hammer (you can "rent" one at most auto parts stores) makes it a lot easier. but a BFH works good too. i am in the habit if cleaning both mating surfaces with a small wire brush and then putting anti-seize on. makes a big difference for next time. same with the back of drums when i had them and on rotors. DO NOT put anti-seize on the three 12pt bolts or the axle nut! those are things that are best left tight and not having the chance of coming loose.

Yep been soaking in PB Blaster for 2 days now. I am putting in the U-joint.

Well ill have to see what happens. its raining now so ill prolly let the PB hit it for one more day.

Back