• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thrust Angle (rear) recommondation?

tacottle

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ Upcountry (second Cherokee). I'm the original owner (94K miles) and it's never been wrecked. Last week, I had it in for a tire rotation and wheel alignment and they reported that that thrust angle was out of spec. The spec range is -0.15 degrees to 0.15 degrees and the actual is 0.31. The tires have close to 50K miles on them, and they're wearing fine according to the tech. I have more than a few miles left on them.

As this is the first time I've had it aligned (rotate every 6K miles) I don't have any history to tell me if this thrust angle is normal for the vehicle. So, as it doesn't seem to be causing a problem, it is something to worry about? As far as I can tell, the only solution is to move the axle around. Is this something that should be fixed or should I leave it alone and just keep a watch on tire wear?

Tim C

Thrust angle is rear wheel alignment, right? A couple of month's ago, a guy who worked in a wheel alignment shop started a thread about the rear wheels being out of alignment. He even changed the rear springs across the vehicle to see if it changed it. Turns our that they are designed to have a slightly shorter wheelbase on one side than the other to allow for the crown of the road. I think his numbers were similar to yours. I'm sure you can find it if you look for a while.

The links at the bottom here have some info too.

Last edited:
Back