• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VERY strange engine noise AC Unit maybe?!?

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Okay well on my lunch break I went to get some food and started up the Jeep. I hear this horrible noise coming from the engine. I pop the hood and it looks as if its coming from the AC condenser. It that what it is? A condenser? Its right next to the battery on my 2000 Sport XJ on the top of the engine and the belt goes around it.

The noise is like a horrible rolling/ball barings with no grease kind of sound. Its really loud too. When I rev the engine it seems to stay at the same speed. Anyone have experience with this noise? It the AC condenser going out?

That part is call the AC Compressor. The condenser is the radiator like unit sitting in front of the radiator.

Its possible that the noise could be coming from that part, but I'd think it would speed up as you rev the engine.

AlohaBra said:
The bearings for the AC clutch could be shot. Does it go away when you turn AC off?

The AC clutch pulley is riding on bearings whether or not the AC is turned on so I don't think that would affect the noise much.

fdsa487 said:
What if I was to spray WD-40 into the front of the compreser? Would that cure all?

*You can do this to see it changes the noise. Just remember the clutch unit is a friction thing.

*On your previous post...to change the bearing only...it requires special tools:
1. snap ring pliers
2. puller for the clutch plate
3. puller for the pulley
4. Tool to remove and retension serpentine belt

AlohaBra said:
*You can do this to see it changes the noise. Just remember the clutch unit is a friction thing.

*On your previous post...to change the bearing only...it requires special tools:
1. snap ring pliers
2. puller for the clutch plate
3. puller for the pulley
4. Tool to remove and retension serpentine belt

Well it looks like im going to have to take it to a shop then.
This sucks.

Be aware that the AC compressor will cycle on and off when the the defroster is selected so that may be why you heard it even though the AC wasn't turned on. The bearings aren't that hard to change, and you could probably rent the tools at Autozone or Checker. You should learn how to do it anyway, especially the serpentine belt.

I had the noise too. turns out it was the alternator bearing.
replaced alternator, no more sound. If it's making the noise it when your A/C is off it's probably the alternator.

Back