• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my list complete?

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ 160K Runs excellent

This weekend I am going to change the cooling fluid. While at that, I am also going to change all the hoses and thinking of replacing the following items:

Belt
Harmonic balancer
Fan clutch
Water pump
Thermostat
Front main seal

Is this list complete? Is there anything else I could replace as a preventative maintenance?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Is there a write up on changing the main seal, searched, but found only for the rear.

Change the tranny fluid, transfer case fluid, differential fluid, power steering fluid, and brake fluid. Obviously, you'll change what you want to, but to me, if it's worked for 160k miles, it's gotta be good. The new chinese made parts you replace them with might not be as good as the original. And then there's the stuff you may screw up while wrenching. Good luck though, you're intentions are certaily honorable. Changing hoses IS good though.

Preventative maintance?

I don't recall seeing anything in your list but the belt on the factory list.

I replaced my belt around 160K because it was cracked and frayed.

Unless something on your list is leaking or weeping, I wouldn't bother

Look it over like you just bought it, then work up a "To DO" list of things to take care of. The service schedule in the owners manual is a good start.

I generally subscribe to the "if it ain't broke ....." principle but if I were going to do the balancer and seal while everything else is off, I would at least consider doing the timing chain while I was at it. Relatively easy and inexpensive. I've only done the seal with the cover off but I think it still pretty easy with the cover in place.

Just a thought although I pretty much agree with winterbeater and Zuki-Ron.

Back