• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 XJ Engine Swap?

R3GZXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I own a 1986 XJ, but I am new to cars and I am clueless as to how to go about this.

I've heard that a 4.3 Chevy V6 will fit onto the factory motor mounts, but I am not sure if this engine is exclusively fuel injected (Mine has a 2.8 chevy V6, carborated [spelling?]). I have heard that the easiest swap is to a 3.4 from a mid-'90s Camero; is this true?

Any input is appreciated greatly.

The 4.3 will NOT fit the standard engine mounts. The 4.3L is basically a shortened version of the small block Chevy V-8. It's a 90-degree configuration, much wider than the early XJ V-6.

The engine that will bolt in is the Chevy 3.4L V-6. In fact, GM has a version that was specifically made to replace the 2.8L in S-10 trucks, and that same crate engine will work in the XJ. You can also get it in rear wheel drive cars like Camaros, but the front wheel drive version will not work (skip the Citations).

here's a question...

I live in California, would this thing (3.4) be emission legal?

R3GZXJ said:
here's a question...

I live in California, would this thing (3.4) be emission legal?

You'd have to check with the CARB but my understanding is that since it is a newer direct replacement for your engine, it is legal.

It is also visually identical to the 2.8L. If you run it with the stock intake and carburetor (although why anyone might do that is an open question), they'd probably never know. Just tell 'em you had your engine rebuilt.

Hoss or Old Man just put a 4.0 in a 84-96 XJ. And I believe he said he would not do it if he had it to do over!

on the 4.0 conversion it is much easier and probly cheaper in the long run to sell you current jeep and buy one with a 4.0 in it.

Back