• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very odd buzzer problem

JS4309

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is weird. I have an 87 I'm trying to get ready for a trip the first week of June. I have a couple issues with the electrical system.
1: The battery is always drained when it just sits a couple days
2: there is a new problem that as soon as I hook up the jumper cables this buzzer starts up and stays on even when the engine is running. It didn't do this last fall and I'm not sure what the heck it is! Any clues......

JS

First thing make sure the battery is good. A bad battery won't hold a charge worth crap. Check your grounds wires etc.

tried three new batteries. I'll try the blue triangle and see if that does it. It has a good alternator too.
I may end up ripping all the wires out and redoing it, it's no longer driven on the road so.....

JS

Obvious question - are all the door switches working? Just wondering if the interior lights are staying on. Pulling the buzzer might fix the symptoms but not the cause.

If the battery is good and the alternator is providing the proper charge then you have a serious drain somewhere.

Remove negative cable from battery post, put a 12v test light in series with the cable and battery post and if there is a drain the light will be on. The brightness of the light indicates the relative amount of draw. Start pulling fuses or disconnecting portions of the wiring harness until the light substantially dims or goes out completely, then repair the circuit that is draining the battery. Note, there may always be a low draw on the system, like the radio's memory, put the draw is very slight and should just barely make a 12v test light glow.

Back