• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's air tube

NO IT IS NOT

as far as i can recall the only CA smog legal airtube for the renix is the "xj armor" one .. but that guys world renowned for taking money and not shipping product, never answering email or returning calls..

Your probably best off keeping the stock air intake and filter setup.

How hard is it to swap a stock airbox back on for smog?

If it has the same function, then most smog guys won't care. Just make sure whatever setup you choose has all the same vacuum hoses, etc. connected to it just like the original setup was.

JohnX said:
If it has the same function, then most smog guys won't care. Just make sure whatever setup you choose has all the same vacuum hoses, etc. connected to it just like the original setup was.

He's not dealing with "most smog guys" if its in cali.. He's dealing with the Smog referee station. Huge difference..

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. Because its not in an XJ he has to referee it for the first time...Might be a problem, might not. If eveything looks correct, you should be fine. If it looks like a hack job, they will find anything they can to keep it off the road. I think I would try using the stock air intake from a YJ connected to the new motor and try it, the worst thing that will happen is they tell you to "fix" it. After you pass the ref station inspection, you can change it to something a little better.

This passed smog in Cali... twice... it might depend on who you take it to...

p1004681small.jpg

IMORTL said:
This passed smog in Cali... twice... it might depend on who you take it to...

p1004681small.jpg
My point exactly....All you have to do is get it past the ref...nobody else cares much.

The reason no one makes a smog legal one for 87-90 is because they are the only ones with the intake preheater setup like older carb'd vehicles.

I have one of the XJ Aromor ones. I snapped a pic of the CARB sticker and posted it up online somewhere if you wanted to try to duplicate the sticker. I'm sure the Ref would only care about the number anyway. Tell him the sticker came off =P

Back