• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Rear Drum Brakes "MUD & Dirt "

54hornet

NAXJA Forum User
I live on a unimproved road and drive at least 20 miles a day on it to get home. I have had 2 XJ's over the last 20 years a 89 and now a 2001. Both have had the same problem with mus and dirt getting inside the drums and causing the shoes to start hanging up real bad. any ideas on how to stop this.............thanks:sure:

I think that there are grommets that will plug the adjuster holes in the back side of the drums. Might help if you don't have them.

Spray em out at home? Or discs. ZJ will work, as will Crown Vic, Explorer, etc. Or swap in an Explorer axle. Then you get a strength increase and discs.

Quarter car wash after the mud. I am sure you think a muddy Jeep looks cool, but if you're careful you can just get the mud out of the insides and leave it on the outside.

you will never get the mud out unless you take the drums off

Thanks guy's, I am tired of cleaning out the drums every month or two.
I can't believe that Jeep would build a vehicle that allows that much dirt in the drums?

Back