• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking While Accelerating ONLY.

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause a light ticking right near my feet while accelerating, but when I rev the engine in park or neutral, the tick is gone. Also when I coast in gear there is no ticking, only accelerating in Drive.

It only happens in gear, with the engine over 1500rpms and accelerating.
If I am cruising along, put the trans in neutral and rev, the ticking is gone.
If I am cruising in OD (45+mph) there is a softer constant tick.
If I am under 45 and push the engine past 3500 rpms, the noise will eventually fade away.
The noise is right below my feet, and is audible from outside the cab.
It sounds like a sticky lifter, but again, below my feet.
The sound does not get louder or softer with the engine temp.

Any Ideas?

Most likely a cracked exhaust manifold. Very common.

So when the noise only happens in drive and accelerating, its the manifold? No noise in Neutral or Park revving.

The noise sounds like a playing card in bicycle spokes, while accelerating above 1500rpms...

I noticed mine making noise when accelerating at a low rpm. It wouldn't do it so much in park really, just occasionally and very faintly. I found it made the most noise when in gear but being held up by the brakes or ebrake. When I took the video it was in drive being held with the ebrake.

Plus it doesn't take long to check at all.

Last edited:
Hmm. Mine makes no noise in gear on the brake either. I had to floor it to get into traffic the other day, the rpms were about 3800rpms for a good couple seconds. Thats when the noise started. No ticking in park or neutral, or in gear on the brake. Only in gear accelerating between 1500 and 2000 rpms. If I put the trans in neutral while cruising at say 40 mph, and rev, there is no noise. Im hoping its something as simple as loose bolts.

So now its ticking while in park and revving too. I pulled the inspection plate and all the flexplate bolts are tight. So since its now ticking in park and drive, its most likely an exhaust leak. I am smelling faint exhaust from the engine bay now too. Its just a matter of narrowing it down to the gasket, manifold, or egr tube.

Thanks for all the help.

Check on the exhaust manifold where the two pipes join into one pipe. That's where the factory manifolds always crack.

Or I suppose your intake/exhaust gasket could be leaking but not as likely. Although it is common for the fasteners holding the intake and the exhaust manifold to the head to loosen up over time.

Looks like its leaking from where the manifold meets the downpipe. The bolts holding them together are loose and leaking from that gasket. The manifold does not look cracked.

Back