• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to re-center clock spring??

XJ96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
I had to replace my steering gear yesterday. . .

I have a 96 and i pulled the part from a 97. . . the gear is the same, but the shafts are different. So i had to disconnect the shaft on my 96. In doing so, I had to rotate to get at the bolt and I can not remember which way i rotated it.

I am ready to install the new(used) unit and I do not want to line everything up but have the clock spring be one turn to far in its rotation and then snap it when I go to turn the wheel.

Could someone tell me if there is a way to know where the center of my clock spring is before I go and install the new gear and shaft.....anyway to do this without pulling the wheel?

If it is completely re-assembled then you'll need to remove the clock spring to re-center it. If the steering wheel turns freely then, carefully turn the steering wheel one direction until it stops. Count the number of turns it takes to turn the wheel to the opposite side. Divide the number of turns by 2.

the clock spring in my 95 doesnt need recentering. the 97+ clock spring does and can be damaged if installed and not centered.

i installed cruise control on my 95 last week. the clock spring that i pulled from the donor had the "keyed" upside down. i checked on my old clockspring by turning it round and round several times. never did it bind up at all- no resistance. so i turned my c/c clockspring 180* and called it good. horn button and c/c controls operate fully.

Back