• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover pluggy things

tommyboy

NAXJA Forum User
you know those 2 plug things on top of your valve cover? well mine let oil seep just a tad to show on the valve cover...could they be worn out? its the only kind of leakage under my hood and its driving me nuts!!! oh ya i have a 98.

There should be a vacuum on that whole system. Check and possible clean out the plug thing on the valve cover that has the tube/hose going to the intake manifold. Those clog up and that causes oil seepage from grommets and into air cleaner.

I just had the same issue in mine. Remove the smaller vacuum line from the back of the VC and check to make sure that you have good vacuum. If not, clean both ends of the vacuum line with a drill bit and blow some air through it to clean out the line. Since I have done that my air filter isn't nearly as oil-soaked.

What is the name for this part? One of mine is torn and the duct tape doesnt want to stay on anymore.

Those are grommets, and depending on your engine/year they are called either PCV grommets or CCV grommets, or valve cover grommets.

The one that goes to the airbox on my XJ is worn out.. but doesnt' leak much. I was told by someone that you can't buy them anymore. One thing I like to look for, if I am shopping for older XJ's is to see if the paper air filter is soaked in oil from the VC hose.. if so .. it means there is blow by...

The one that goes to the airbox on my XJ is worn out.. but doesnt' leak much. I was told by someone that you can't buy them anymore. One thing I like to look for, if I am shopping for older XJ's is to see if the paper air filter is soaked in oil from the VC hose.. if so .. it means there is blow by...

Most likely a neglected PCV/CCV system and you might get a good deal by pointing out the oil-soaked air filter to the seller.

I just had the same issue in mine. Remove the smaller vacuum line from the back of the VC and check to make sure that you have good vacuum. If not, clean both ends of the vacuum line with a drill bit and blow some air through it to clean out the line. Since I have done that my air filter isn't nearly as oil-soaked.

where at exactly and do you have the same motor as me? i have a 98.

tommyboy said:
PCV/CCV: what do those mean?
I believe that:
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve
CCV = Crank Case Vent

tommyboy said:
where at exactly and do you have the same motor as me? i have a 98.
Assuming a 4.0
The rear line; pull it and clean it out good. When it gets clogged it causes blow-back through the forward line to the air filter.

PCV/CCV: what do those mean?

PCV=Positive Crankcase Ventilation, uses a PCV valve.

CCV=CrankCase Ventilation, no PCV valve.

Just two different systems for doing the same job.

**didn't see the earlier answer to the question.

And the 4.0 does NOT use a PCV. Pls don't install one, it will eventually blow every gasket in the motor as crankcase pressure rises from blowby.

Back