• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire sizes w/o rubbing

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious as to how wide a tire will fit on the factory aluminum 15x7" 5-stars (88-95) without rubbing anything. I want to put on 255/60's (10.5" wide) and the tire specs say they'll fit on a 7-9" rim. I wanna be sure before I go out and buy them.

I'm running 275/60R 15's on Canyon rims, which I believe may have the same offset as the 'star' rims. They rub a bit if you have the steering wheel fully cranked to one side or the other, but otherwise they've been fine.

275/60's what tread pattern are u running? I couldn't think of putting anything smaller thatn a 75 series tire on. (Although my 88 came with 65 series.)

Those 10.50's might rub on your lower control arms when you turn tight,and possibly the upper part of the coil while flexed out(mine does).I have the same rims and I'm running 10.50's this is how I know.It's nothing that can't be fixed by adjusting the steering stops.

Last edited:
So I got a set of those 15x8 old skool 5-star aluminum in excellent condition for $86 shipped off Ebay. Put on a set of 255 60 Yokos from tirerack for $312 shipped. They do not rub and it looks like I could've put on 275's (the guy advertised the wheels as 15x7's so I was pleasantly surprised they were the 8's), but I'm happy with they way they sit and how the Jeep now handles and accellerates noticeably faster. This wheel tire combo weighed about 44lbs each and the factory steelies with the 225 75 POS Wranglers weighed 49lbs.

Back