• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Questions

19864cyl

NAXJA Forum User
1986 2.5l 4speed

First off I bought this jeep with motor already pulled out of it. The previous owner was going to rebuild but got another project truck and gave up on it. I bought it rebuilt the motor and just recently put it back in. Now im trying to figure out all the electrical stuff, which brings me to my first question.

Can anybody tell me how the starter is wired? Everyone I ask has a different answer and the wiring diagram is not real specific.

I guess I will update this thread with new questions everytime I run into an electrical/wiring problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Send me a pm with your email. i've got a 1984 with a v6 in it. i am pretty sure the starting circuit is the same. i will send you a diagram.

since your starting out on this swap, i would suggest a subscription to alldatadiy.com best 20 you can spend for your jeep. some of the info is flakey but the diagrams are good.

Last edited:
Pretty basic.

You will need a Positive main lead from the battery to the starter solenoid, goes to the big stud. There should be a starter relay on the passenger side fender well. The relay will have a stud and probably three male spade connections. The stud should have a fairly stout lead from the battery positive, and then there are numerous wires that attach there for power distribution. One of the spades will be marked "IGN", that gets a lead from the ignition switch and is positive, a spade marked "GRND" that grounds on the fender well, and a spade marked "SOL" that gets a wire that runs to the small stud on the starter solenoid. That should do it.

I'm posting from my iPod so please bear with me. I think I have it hooked up the right way now, I will post a pic tomorrow sometime of the way I have it connected. Now I have to finish hooking up the rest of the wires(the books diagrams suck) then I have to hook up all the vacuum lines which are gunna be an even bigger pain in the ass haha

Thank you guys for all the help this is by far the most technical xj site I have come across yet

Back