• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep no start

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep will not start, has started fine for a year now, the starter is essentially Brand new all things considered. drove fine to PA and back last weekend, drove it to and from work yesterday, got in today

turned the key

Nothing. doesnt crank, doesnt do anything, the first 5 times i tried it in a row, the ACC mode would turn on (battery) and id get the beeps...but the first beep would stutter a bit, with the rest fine. went out and tried the jeep again 4 mins after, now i get NO battery power, turn the key and nothing happens, no clicks, nothing. i have a red top battery, and i drove it less than 24 hours ago, and ive never had it die on me before (the battery), so i really am opposed to thinking its simply a dead battery. especially because i dont get clicks or even any power at all.

Its NOT the NSS, the NSS is brand new, and i know what an NSS is like.

its a 97XJ, 4.0/aw4 yadda yadda

Check the battery with a multimeter and see what the voltage is with and without turning the key.
Chances are it is your battery cables as they corrode inside the cables very quickly and you get no connection.

Charge the battery, clean all cable ends and renew your grounds. If you don't want to have the battery load tested, fine, but you may be skipping over the problem. While the battery is getting a full charge, from a voltage regulated charger delivering 10 amps (per Optima), you can clean all the cable ends and renew all of your system grounds. If you have opted not to have a load test then have someone try and crank the engine with the headlights on. If the lights dim severely or go out completely your battery has failed. If it cranks and starts then don't forget to check your alternator output--it may have failed and isn't keeping the battery charged.

Back