• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting a buggie frame

Now none of you locals get any ideas, I am NOT building a buggy rock crawler, but I still need to paint a buggy frame.
I have a large enough area to build a paint booth in my garage, I have a large enough compressor to supply a non stop air supply...but I have never painted a frame myself.....
I am picking up the frame from the sandblaster today, I plan on picking up a spray gun (or two) on my way home from there.
Any suggestions on guns? I don't like buying crap.....
I realize the paint and misc. items will cost in the $3oo to $4oo range plus the cost of the guns, it maybe cheaper to have it powder coated but I plan on doing this (frame and body paint) to my Jeep and my son's later on.
Anyone here ever paint a buggy? Any suggestion?
Rick R

What do you want it to look like,Ive done more than I care to talk about!A tube frame chassis is harder to paint than anything I know!Your main enemies are "time,accessibilty,overspray, and the paint itself".A "rotisserie" is a "must",after that use the slowest possible reducer so that you can completely cover the job and still have the entire surface to "flow out" before it starts to set.
Btw:electrostatic and powder coating is much easier.Also "sandblasting" can be a really bad idea depending on what material/size they used.

three stage powder coating $800 I wouldn't even mess with trying to paint it.

100_24331.jpg

RCP Phx said:
What do you want it to look like......Also "sandblasting" can be a really bad idea depending on what material/size they used.
I just got the frame back from the sandblaster...this is also the company that does the powdercoating....and it is as rough as emery cloth!
This is my wifes dune buggie frame..and I wanted to paint it myself mainly due to getting some working time with a paint gun prior to painting the cherokees...
I will be modifying my frame jig so I can use it to spin the frame. I realize it won't turn out perfect, and if that was the primary goal I would go powder coat. But with the frame so rough...damn..I'm going to need to spend some time thinking this over.
Okay, I've thaught it over, I'm still going to paint it myself. :D
Thanks guys...and Woody, I don't think I have seen any picts of your rig finished..is it? ;)
Rick R

Back