• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper paint/finish question

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

Any of you use POR-15 products on your bumpers? I ordered a pair of rigidco bumpers that will be coming soon and was planning to use POR-15 products. I was going to use POR-15, then use their Self-Etching Primer and topcoat with Rustoleum or SEM trim black. I was wondering if any one has done this for solid rust protection? I also was wondering if there were any problems with using rustoleum or the SEM as far as touch up afterwards (scratches, etc) on top of the POR-15?

thanks

realized after I posted this should be in another section....sorry in advance :)

I did por-15 then duplicolor truck bed spray. I just roughed up the por-15 with scotchbrite and painted. worked great. I I had to do it again, I'd spray the por15 instead of brushing it on.

I did a restoration job on a lighthouse and use the POR-15 product in quite a few problem spots. It was an unofficial (non spec'd) product that I used on the advice of a bodywork buddy. Fifteen years later on the edge of the ocean and the stuff has lasted! I wish I had painted my entire MJ with it because IT suffered a terrible case of sea-cancer...

thanks for the replies guys....glad to hear the duplicolor is an option, I was wondering about that too. I just wanted to see if there was any reason why rustoleum wouldn't bond right due to any difference in chemical formula, etc since it would be very easy to scuff up with sand paper quickly repaint when scratched from the trail, etc.

i think you need to do a top coat over this stuff if its going to be in direct sunlight, its not really made for that. just ask the paint rep and he'll get you going. its good stuff but permanant as hell so becareful

Yeah, I was going to ask a paint rep, just figured I would ask here first for "real world" applications. When I mentioned scuffing up and quickly repainting I meant the rustoleum or a similar topcoat. I know the POR-15 has to be kept out of sunlight due to UV sensitivity. I planned to use the rustoleum or SEM as the top coat OVER por-15.

I use Rustoleum flat black industrial-duty paint in a spraybomb on everything.
For quick, easy, cheap, and durable, it's hard to beat.
It sticks very well, even to surfaces that are not prepped perfectly and touchups match every time..
After a while it turns to a satin finish.
I have big dollar sprayguns that haven't seen daylight in a few years due to this stuff.

93xjmark,

Since you seem to use the stuff a lot, ever use it as a topcoat over POR-15? I am wondering how it bonds.

I just had a winch bumper made and I had a collision shop sand blast it,next I'll give it a coat of rustolem primer(rattle-can)then a few coats of Plasticoat Spray on bed liner(rattle-can also)I sprayed my stock bumpers and really liked the way it turned out.

Back