• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

liquid coming from tailpipe

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
after i change the O2 sensor and started the car i noticed that the tailpipe was dripping water and i also made another post about a hissing sound coming from the tail pipe area still after putting all the new exhaust components i dont understand this. also where thr muffler and the cat meet the shop only put on 1 clamp and a machanic told me that it wasnt close enough to where the two meet. It was dripping some clear liquid where the 2 meet as well as the tail pipe whats the cause of all this.

i sincerely appreciate the help!

also the shop welded the hangers to the muffler,tailpipe, etc and when i let of the gas and the vehicle is just going i hear rattling as if its from the exhaust but when i put it in put to see where its loose i dont find nothing any ideas?

Are you sure that your motor mounts are good. Tranny mount too. XJ's are famous for cracking the headers when the engine rocks too much. If your new exhaust is in there tight, it will aggravate that potential problem. Exhaust rattleing might be from something like that.

so basically, there's a chance that my motor is causing the exhaust to make these horrible noises?

i.e
today when i drove the car music off, to listen to the problems i noticed that the exhaust made this rrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise only when i was idling in drive or sometimes in reverse i tried to put the e-brake on to keep the car in drive while i look under the car but the second i put the e-brake on, it stop the noise. its definitely coming from the exhaust system im kinda feeling it somewhere in front of my feet, or under my feet, so weird to explain it sounds as if the exhaust pipe is trying to rip off or something.

also when i look at the tail pipe there was a puddle of liquid and this is after i drove a couple of blocks, and pulled over to a gas station. Someone walking buy seen me looking at the liquid puzzled and said its anti-freeze, is this possible?

if so why would it do that?

i need you guys on this, i feel like i spent all this money on my exhaust for nothing, sure i feel alot more power in the peddle, but even then, when i mash it sometimes i feel like somethings dragging or scrapping. im not even turning i have to let off the peddle and press it again to get that dragging feeling away. i dont know if one has anything to do with the other but i thought i throw it out there just in case. thanks again

What color is the fluid? If it's green(ish) it's coolant.

You may have a bad water pump. Coolant will leak out of the weep hole and get blown all around underneath the engine bay as you drive. Ask me how I know.

Follow the lower radiator hose up to the engine block. The part it attaches to is the water pump. If you see signs of water leakage, your WP is probably bad.

First check your coolant level (either radiator cap, or overflow container not sure what year you said you had). If it is full check to see if it is clear (just water) or green (coolant). If your coolant is green, and the liquid coming out of your exhaust is green then you may have a blown head gasket. If your coolant level is normal/full, and you are having clear water come out of your exhaust it may just be normal exhaust condensation. One of the by products of hydrocarbon combustion is water, if there is A LOT of water, then you may have a more serious problem. Have you had any problems with the jeep overheating, losing power, etc???

First check your coolant level (either radiator cap, or overflow container not sure what year you said you had). If it is full check to see if it is clear (just water) or green (coolant). If your coolant is green, and the liquid coming out of your exhaust is green then you may have a blown head gasket. If your coolant level is normal/full, and you are having clear water come out of your exhaust it may just be normal exhaust condensation. One of the by products of hydrocarbon combustion is water, if there is A LOT of water, then you may have a more serious problem. Have you had any problems with the jeep overheating, losing power, etc???

yes i did have a problem with lost of power and someone told me i might have a clogged cat, so i decided to get the exhaust pipe, cat, muffler, tail pipe and o2 sensor, i got it put on in a muffler shop they seem to know what they were doing i watched the whole job for experience perposes.

after they put the stuff in i felt alot more power thats for sure!! and as far as my coolant bottle its not even green liquid i need to flush the system actually its brown looking in the Bottle and it was below the level more likely its probably because of a coolant leak i have by the thermostat housing bottom screw it striped the bolt hole on the engine i brought a tap and die im gonna get to as asap. and the puddle of liquid didnt look really green but i wasnt sure it was clear though and the guy walking by i dont think he had a good enough look.

besides i change my head gasket last summer one of my first jobs with my girl and i think we did a really good job and i didnt have the coolant in the oil i dont think i just change my oil it ws dark but i didnt see a green color.

i hope its not the head could it be?
what else is a option if u dont mind me asking?

What color is the fluid? If it's green(ish) it's coolant.

You may have a bad water pump. Coolant will leak out of the weep hole and get blown all around underneath the engine bay as you drive. Ask me how I know.

Follow the lower radiator hose up to the engine block. The part it attaches to is the water pump. If you see signs of water leakage, your WP is probably bad.

whats the life expectancy on these its another one i change over last summer!!! well i actually had a machanic change it because of a leak? could it still be the water pump anyway?

If you aren't getting any drip from below the water pump, you are most likely fine. Especially if you just put a new one on a year ago. As far as the head gasket goes, if you aren't having overheating issues, or loss of power, or smoke coming from your exhaust you are probably fine. When you say water coming from the exhaust... How much are we talking about? Because like I said some is ok, especially if it had been sitting long.

The products of complete combustion are carbon dioxide and water. This is completely normal. Usually the water coming out the pipe is in the vapor state, but sometimes is liquid if the temperature and humidity are at certain levels.

Are you loosing coolant or not? Do you have to add coolant to your radiator or overflow bottle on a regular basis, like weekly? Keep your mind on track here and analyze this stuff. Is the water dripping from the inside of the tailpipe? If so, it is not the water pump. Does your oil look clean and stay at the same level? What year is your Heep anyway?

1988 XJ 4.0 6 CYL

i sometimes have to add coolant to the overflow bottle but i think its because of the leak i described (coming from the t-housing's bottom screw. i really dont think its the head gasket, and i think the water is coming from the inside, except the other day there was water aorund the area where the cat and muffler meet and a machnaic told me its because i need a clamp there, and i put one and havent seen any water since coming from that area, that is!!! but itys still water coming from the tail pipe its looks like it mainly coming from stepping on the gas as i pull off there are spots of water behind me, does this stuff make any sense?

like others have said a few spots of water are normal. the water is just a by-product. if you are stopping and having a puddle form under your exhaust however, then you have a problem.

also i dont think im loosing power, and i havent overheated yet hasnt even reached 210 yet to tell you the truth its driving comfortably under 210 even though my coolant looks nasty (from a stop leak i put in a while back) i just need to fix that leak in the t-housing going to the block i stripped the bottom bolt hole, not to much space to work so ill have to drain all the coolant out so i might as well flush while im at it and change the coolant hoses. ill keep a eye out for any more of these signs of a blown head gasket but if any one else knows of another cause of a little puddle but still a puddle of water from the tail pipe let me know! thanks

Fix your thermostat housing leak, flush the system, put some nice green coolant in, and just watch your level. If your level isn't going down (without the leak), then you are most likely fine. If your level is going down, then you are most likely burning coolant (and blowing some of it out the exhaust). Does it smoke at all????

like was said .Some is normal air drawn into the engine has water in it. that water get turned in to steem while the engine is running . then condences in the ehaust and comes out the tail pipe .some mufflers have a small hole in the bottom eage for this reason. to let the water out so the muffle dosent rust out after a fu years.

ok here's a question about the ratte noise im hearing the only place i see that the exhaust even touches the exhaust is on the cross member and this is while the sound is being made in drive, my wife sat and held the brake while i was under the car and i could barely see the metal hitting but the sound was loud as hell.

could this be because the metal to metal from the pipe and the cross member the shop didnt use the oringinal mount they made on by sliding a metal hook through the rubber peace by the cross member and welding it to the pipe before the cat.

could this be the cause of the noise being that the oringal mount wasnt used?
what can i do to fix this?

Back