• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How about on board welding

I would go with a ready welder. I like what he did, but the way he has the oil seperator.. and some other things.. seems like they would suffer an ill fate when wheeled hard.

Yeah good ideas that just need some fine tuning I think. I'm not sure to how good of a welder it will make but would be great for a fast trail fix out there.

an external regulated FORD alternator, a thottle cable, and some jumper cables...
100_1447.jpg

100_1448.jpg

Just my opinion.
1. If you build the vehicle right then you usually don't need a welder on the trail.
2. If you inspect and prepare your vehicle properly before hitting the trail you usually don't need a welder on the trail.
3. IF you do need a welder on the trail all you really need at a minimum is 2 decent batteries, jumper cables, a stick and several pairs of sun glasses.
4. I recommend carrying a couple sets of jumper cables, a couple of sticks, and a pair of welding googles and leather gloves (yes I do carry them and no I have never needed them).
5. In all of the years I have been on the trail I have be involved and seen only two welding trail repairs. Neither of them were absolutely necessary, and both were easily avoidable by "thinking" prior to acting ;)

Michael

5. In all of the years I have been on the trail I have be involved and seen only two welding trail repairs. Neither of them were absolutely necessary, and both were easily avoidable by "thinking" prior to acting ;)

Michael

How long have you been wheeling Michael? I have seen ready welders being used at least 3 times in the few years I have been on the trails.

1. At Reiter on the wall trail a wrangler with an airshock ripped a mount off and lost all suspension lift with the airshock gone.
2. At Walker last year on the rockface the subi yota repairing its link mounts on the axle.
3. Last year at PNW Larry did a repair on a few rigs including re-attaching part of my rocker.

What I am saying is you can never be totally prepared and having a ready welder in your group is a great plan.

-Alex

IMHO, a ready-welder is a must have on any serious trail run. Our club has 2 or 3 with at least one present on any given trail run. There are times they have proven invaluable..... broken track bar on White Knuckle Hill in Moab, broken shackle hangers @ Funny Rocks, etc... I've seen it in action numerous times (before we bought one) and the ready welder works WAY better than arc rod and jumper cables.

J

Just my opinion.
1. If you build the vehicle right then you usually don't need a welder on the trail.

To me that's kinda like saying " I have bigger axles... I don't need to carry spare shafts." No Matter how well you build it stuff will break eventually.

I am not saying that if you build it well that it won't break. I am saying that if you build it well that it is MUCH more likely that it won't break.

Again, if you maintain and inspect your vehicle before run's you will be MUCH more likely that it won't break.

I think a Ready Welder would be great also. But it is a LONG way down the list of necessary items when we have people asking if they need OBA or high lifts:looney: a stick, googles, gloves will do fine until then.

The subi at Walker is #2 for me (and that would have easily been preventable during building)

The #1 was a broken shaft u-joint on the Wall.

Let's get our priorities strait, most of the people we are talking about here don't even have a welder at home.

Michael

we have people asking if they need OBA or high lifts:looney: a stick, googles, gloves will do fine until then.

Michael

I hate wheeling without google... what if something goes wrong.. I can't search for a trail fix :greensmok

You are right Michael, Bailing wire and some creativity will usually get you off the trail. Being prepared, probably most of all .

Whats having a welder in the garrage have to do with having one on the trail. Does that mean you can't have the OBW without having one in the garrage first? A lot of people that end up needing a welder while at home will tend to go to a shop with what needs to be welded, but the shops aren't coming to the trail when they are needed lol.
The point I had with starting the thread was so if people haven't seen, heard or thought about this yet well now they can.
I'm not one to say much about building it the right way being I'm running the d35 30 combo (this soon to change) but I do give the rig a good look over before going out and everyone should, but even a good one over won't promise a trouble free trip (nothing will) but it will better the chances of it though that is true.

Having an on board welder and compressor would be great if the person knows how to use it correctly. That guy on the video was book smart not work smart. Think if he broke something like a drag link on the trail? maybe a full size chev? Where the drag link is all the steering. Thats all fine for (HIM) to weld it up and get (HIM) to the end of the trail. Should (HE) drive it on the highway? NO!! Evey one should not have a welder, just the people that know how to use one correctly. I know this because I am work smart not very smart but Know my capabilities. And I know spelling and grammar are not one that I know very well.

Dave

I have an OBW and OBA on my XJ. I put the OBW on even before I lifted it. The welder paid for itself many times over while in collage. I buld my sliders, bumper, anti-wrap bar and long arms all with the OBW. I also used it to do the SOA on a buddies YJ. I've used it for a trail fix on a broken track bar and some other minor stuff.

Any more it doesn't get used much. I've had to weld a few things on other peoples rigs while on the trail or in camp but it is a rarity. I have 25' worth of leads, cheap hand held mask and some 6011 and 7018 that all fits in a small bag.

Like anything you can probalby go without ever needing it but when you need it... It's kinda hard to hold steel together with duct tape (not that it hasn't been done).

A ready welder is a nice option but I don't have two batteries on the jeep.

To me that's kinda like saying " I have bigger axles... I don't need to carry spare shafts." No Matter how well you build it stuff will break eventually.

I dont own, and dont intend to purchase a spare rear axle shaft...

ever...

Back