• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears In Need

Red_daggsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Upgrading my rear end to a Ford 8.8 and need to match my Dana 30 high pinion Front to 3.73 gears, wondering if anyone who's upgraded their front end has a Ring and Pinion set they'd get rid of at a good price.

Cheers

Most the guys upgrading are going from a 3.55 to 4.x. If I haven't tossed them yet, I've got a couple sets of factory 3.55's laying here. Complete with carriers. :) 3.73's weren't common in Cherokees, if at all. Most manual trans ones came with 3.07's, autos had 3.55's and 4cyl came with either 4.10's or 4.56's. You'd be better off regearing the 8.8 to 4.56's, driving without a front driveshaft until you can afford to regear the front to match. Otherwise you'll end up regearing twice.

Most the guys upgrading are going from a 3.55 to 4.x. If I haven't tossed them yet, I've got a couple sets of factory 3.55's laying here. Complete with carriers. :) 3.73's weren't common in Cherokees, if at all. Most manual trans ones came with 3.07's, autos had 3.55's and 4cyl came with either 4.10's or 4.56's. You'd be better off regearing the 8.8 to 4.56's, driving without a front driveshaft until you can afford to regear the front to match. Otherwise you'll end up regearing twice.

X2 on the 4.56's When are u going to larger tires Cliff? You will need the 4.56's than. Remember u must spend all of your $ on this jeep thing:rolleyes:.....SANTA

Most the guys upgrading are going from a 3.55 to 4.x. ...You'd be better off regearing the 8.8 to 4.56's, driving without a front driveshaft until you can afford to regear the front to match. Otherwise you'll end up regearing twice.
X2 on the 4.56's When are u going to larger tires Cliff? You will need the 4.56's than. Remember u must spend all of your $ on this jeep thing:rolleyes:.....SANTA

I am trying to avoid regearing twice, however I lack the funds to do regear both, and get new tires, which would make regearing pointless. So alas i am stuck in this quandary. Or I could wait to do the swap until I have the $ to regear, now that's an idea! that actually just hit me, duh. I'm going to be doing some armor upgrades this weekend and next, then I'll just save my pennies for the whole regearing thing and tires all at once.

Santa: how did the roof rack turn out this weekend?

sell your 8.8 with 3.73's and buy one with 4.10's. Then regear the front to match.

4.10's still aren't deep enough for anything bigger than about a 31, and at that point, he may as well keep the 3.73 dana 30 and regear the 8.8.

4.10 8.8's are actually pretty uncommon as it is, anyways.

I'll probably keep the 3.73 and match the front, run it till I get bored and swap a matching set of full with axles in there , sounds reasonable enough to me :gee:

at 3.73 and 33 inch tires, I should be fine. I should hit about 2300-2500 rmp at 65mph, not bad. Baby steps, I JUST WANT TO GET IT DIRTY ALREADY!

It's been too clean for too long. SoCal Fest is probably out of the question, but should be done shortly after that.

I have 3.73 and i am going to re gear soon, just waiting on an insurance claim. if you are still looking when i do i will contact you.

Sweet deal, hit me up and we'll make it happen, it could even involve some cold beer if necessary.

I am trying to avoid regearing twice, however I lack the funds to do regear both, and get new tires, which would make regearing pointless. So alas i am stuck in this quandary. Or I could wait to do the swap until I have the $ to regear, now that's an idea! that actually just hit me, duh. I'm going to be doing some armor upgrades this weekend and next, then I'll just save my pennies for the whole regearing thing and tires all at once.

Santa: how did the roof rack turn out this weekend?

The rack turned out great,hit up KG and he will send you pics.....SANTA

I ran 3.07s on 32' and 33's drove cross county on the 32's. Regeared to 4.10's with the 33's did well off road, Didnt feel the need to go any deeper, just used the skinny pedal more =)

I'll probably keep the 3.73 and match the front, run it till I get bored and swap a matching set of full with axles in there , sounds reasonable enough to me :gee:
at 3.73 and 33 inch tires, I should be fine. I should hit about 2300-2500 rmp at 65mph, not bad. Baby steps, I JUST WANT TO GET IT DIRTY ALREADY!
It's been too clean for too long. SoCal Fest is probably out of the question, but should be done shortly after that.

For 33's you'll want to run 4.56's or lower. If you run 3.73's with 33's and an auto, you'll be dropping out of overdrive into 3rd on anything more than about a 1% grade.

I ran 3.07s on 32' and 33's drove cross county on the 32's. Regeared to 4.10's with the 33's did well off road, Didnt feel the need to go any deeper, just used the skinny pedal more =)
the 1st gear is pretty low on the street. and gets good gas mileage.

Back