• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking sound from rear of Jeep

jeep wagon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clunking sound coming from what sound's like the drive shaft. But the drive shaft is a new CV shaft I just put in. I also checked the diff it looked ok. Ideas?

Intermittent?

Lifted?

Mostly over bumps?

Same problem as me?

Fairly loud clunking sound when coasting?

This is driving me crazy. Have new CV-joints and new wheel bearings. Pinion is thight and good. Axle is a D35 no-c-clip no-limited slip. Only thing I can think of is tooth clearance between ring and pinion... but I don't want it to be that... :)

I know that it is highly unlikely in your situation, but once I had a clunking sound from the rear of my jeep on my way back from the repair shop.

The lug nuts of the wheel they removed were loose...

.....Fairly loud clunking sound when coasting?...
. Only thing I can think of is tooth clearance between ring and pinion..... :)

This is very common with lots of miles on the vehicle and is not harmful. If it gets worse fast, then you have to worrry. Just another Jeep noise.

i have a fairly loud clunking coming from my rear end when im barely on the throttle or left of and coast. I also get some bad vibes from the rear end pulling out and stopping. Any help would be much appreciated. Depending whats wrong it may sway me to get an 8.25. as long as that swap isnt a pain.:looney:

I've developed this issue with my 98 after replacing the rear shoes, wheel cylinders and turning the drums. Is this something I need to worry about? It's a very minor clunk heard only at low speeds when applying the brakes. It sounds like a common problem with the 8 1/4 but I'm concerned it's a safety issue. I trust Tim, so it sounds like I shouldn't worry??? I've got 159k on the clock.

my clunk occurred when I would shift from reverse into drive or the opposite- turned out to be the U-joints on the drive shaft... seriously over due to be replaced. Put in two new ones and noise gone.

I've developed this issue with my 98 ..... It's a very minor clunk heard only at low speeds when applying the brakes.

Since it started after a brake job, it most likely is brake related. The drums can clunk on the lug studs if the lug nuts are not properly torqued, and the brake shoes can squirm around a bit making clunking noises. If you used cheap brake parts, installer better quality parts may cure the noises.

Since it started after a brake job, it most likely is brake related. The drums can clunk on the lug studs if the lug nuts are not properly torqued, and the brake shoes can squirm around a bit making clunking noises. If you used cheap brake parts, installer better quality parts may cure the noises.
best remedy for this.....rear disc swap :rolleyes: .......oh if only i had money to burn.....unfortunately the secret meaning of the word jeep got me beat :tear:

i will agree with you though, as my 94, and my 92 both do this, it just seems to be an inherent noise from what i can tell

Last edited:

Or the brakes aren't adjusted out enough. The self adjusters won't work unless initial adjustment is close, they're finicky little buggers.

Back