• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My bad day driving home from EJS

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
So here I sit in La Grande, Oregon in a Super8 motel room when I could be driving home.

In leaving Moab, I aired up and immediately noticed that the wheel was cocked to about 11 o'clock going straight down the road. Upon visual inspection, it appeared that the draglink may have had a slight bend in it, which was surprising cause that stuff is pretty beefy on the JK.

So I made it to Boise in great time, grabbed a hotel room, a steak, and a couple beers, and crashed for the night. This morning I woke up, fueled up, and hit the road again.

I was again making good time and was starting to head over the pass to drop into Pendleton. As I was turning into a left curve in the passing lane, a semi truck on my right, the steering wheel suddenly let loose and jumped from about 10 o'clock to past 9 o'clock without turning. I was doing about 70mph too. Scary.

I managed to get slowed down and exited off the freeway in perfect time. As soon as I got down the off-ramp, wham! The death wobble started in hard. I got pulled over, inspected, and found that the draglink was fine, but the trackbar mount had sheared clean off of the axle right at the welds. Teh only thing holding it together was our relocation bracket, which happens to tie that bracket into another.

So I ended the day like this.

l_b4af00748b164a4499893fd8c1b43341.jpg

Since its easter, and Sunday I can't get it fixed today, so it looks like I am spending the night in La Grande.

Oh thats is a bad way to end a good trip but glad you were able to get it off the raod safely. At least it happen where you were able to get a tow truck and not up on the trails though.

Last edited:
It was actually kind of hard to get a towtruck. No cell service where I broke!

I ended up going down into the neighborhood nearby and borrowing someones home phone. Thumbs up to that guy!

I swear knowing what some people on here are saying is like trying to understand my 13 year old daughter when she sends me a text message. WTF IDK TTYL BBS need a dictionary for this crap.

By the way what the hell is IFS?
Or should I say.....BTW WTH is IFS?

It's not us.

-----Matt-----
:moon:

CJ; IFS: Independent front suspension.. aka not a strait axle...

terrible for off-highway use. but... 1 pirk is no Trac-bar.. i guess you could say thats a plus? ftw!? ahh im paddling upstream.

tired ftl?

Back