• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serpintine belt problems.

x1990j

NAXJA Forum User
my jeeps serpintine belt is hitting the cover for what i think is the timing chain cover and making a annoying noise, i was wondering what causes this and what i could do to fix it, i tried tightening up the belt but couldnt fixure out how to with the power steering pump. So if anyone has info or input on either of these things i would breatly appreciate it. thanks

if you believe that something is hitting the timing chain cover,it coul be the harmonic balancer seperating. the rubber that is inbetween the two rings will walk back against the cover and worry the poop out of ya.

Not only will it worry the poop out of you, but if this is your problem, the rubber will eventually eat its way through the cover. Someone will probably offer some advice but in the meantime a quick search with "harmonic balancer" and "serpentine belt" will reveal endless threads on the subject, several within the past few weeks.

Before you try to adjust the tension with the bolt below the PS pump, you have to loosen two bolts in the back of the pump and two in the front. You can twist the adjusting bolt off if you don't first loosen these bolts. Some do this from below but it can be done from the top of the pump with the proper wrenches. It helps to remove the air box, particularly the first time you do it.

Back